News and Events
When scholarship donors and student recipients come together
This year the event will be held April 12, 2016
The Doxie Derby is hosted annually during Picnic Day
Saturday April 16, 2016
Register your doxie here
Saturday, April 23, 2016, is the 9th annual Vet Med Dog ‘n’ Jog.
Click here for more details!
Be sure to congratulate Dr. J. Claudio Gutierrez who was honored with the SAVMA Teaching Excellance Award this past March! Click here for more information
Friday September 23rd, 2016
Stay tuned for more details!
Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA)
Thank you for visiting the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine's SCAVMA homepage! SCAVMA is the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association and is an organization dedicated to fostering unity among veterinary students within and between the 28 veterinary schools of the United States, 1 school in Canada and 3 schools in the Caribbean. At UC Davis, SCAVMA also provides funding for all university-registered veterinary school clubs, supplies monetary support for student travel associated with educational endeavors, and hosts information sessions on topics ranging from managing finances to finding internships and residencies. These are just a fraction of the services that SCAVMA brings to the school. For more information about the UC Davis SCAVMA, please explore the links provided to other pages in the menu to the left. For more general information about the AVMA, SCAVMA and SAVMA, please download the PDF brochure here (Adobe Acrobat Reader required).
Benefits of SCAVMA Membership
- Reduced price on subscriptions to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) and the American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR)
- Free membership to SAVMA and IVSA; these memberships can provide opportunities for scholarships and externships, both in the US and abroad
- Eligibility to participate in UCD SVM student organizations and wetlabs
- Eligibility for Professional Development Funds (PDF) to travel to externships and conferences
- Eligibility for SCAVMA-sponsored scholarships
- Participation in the AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust (PLIT), which covers professional liability and health insurance during the summer months while working for AVMA-insured animal hospitals
- Free AVMA membership for six months after graduation and reduced dues for the next two years
- Access to the AVMA Group Health and Life Insurance Trust (GHLIT) at graduation if you have been a member for at least two years before graduation
- Poster of SAVMA Benefits