Verena K Affolter- DVM, PhD
Professor of Clinical
Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology
3313 Vet Med 3A
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 754 0104
| || |
Dermatopathology/Immunopathology: Structure and function of the leukocytic components of the skin immune system; Histiocytic proliferative diseases in dogs and cats; Lymphocytic proliferative diseases of the skin; Immune-mediated skin diseases, including vasculitis; Ischemic dermatopathy in dogs; Progressive lymphedema and associated pastern dermatitis in draft horses
1982 DVM Veterinary Medicine, University Berne, Berne, Switzerland
1999 PhD Comparative pathology, University of California, Veterinary pathology, Davis
Honors and Awards
1992 Swiss National Foundation; Fellowship for studies on canine histiocytic diseases
Staatsexamen der Veterinärmedizin (final exams and graduation as veterinarian)
Doctoral thesis, Dr. Med.Vet.
FVH Pathology (specialization in veterinary pathology), Switzerland
Diplomate of European College of Veterinary Pathology (ECVP)
PhD Comparative Pathology
Active Research Grants
Co-Principal Investigator, Characterization of Skin Lesions Induced by Lysine Deficiency, Jennifer Larsen (Principal Investigator), Center for Companion Animal Health
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2011 Carrade DD, Affolter VK, Outerbridge CA, Watson JL, Galuppo LG, Buerchler S, Kumar V, Walker NJ, Borjesson DL Intradermal Injections of Equine Allogeneic Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells are Well Tolerated and do not Elicit Immediate or Delayed Hypersensitivity Reactions Cytotherapy,
- 2011 Szivek A, Burns R, Gericota B, Affolter VK, Kent M, Rodriguez CO, Skorupski K Clinical outcome in 94 cases of dermal hemangiosarcoma in dogs treated with surgical excision: 1993-2007 Vet Comp Oncol doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5829.2011.00282.x. Epub 2011 Jul 25,
- 2011 Lam ATH, Affolter VK, Outerbridge CA, Gericota B, White SD Oral vitamin A as an adjunct treatment for canine sebaceous adenitis Vet Dermatol,
- 2011 Burns RE, Pesavento PA, McElliott VR, Ortega J, Affolter VK Glomus tumours in the skin and subcutis of three horses Vet Dermatol,
- 2010 Affolter VK, Gross TL, Moore PF Indolent cutaneous T-cell lymphoma presenting as cutaneous lymphocytosis in dogs Vet Dermatol,
- 2010 Moore PF, Affolter VK, Graham PS, Hirt B Canine epitheliotropic cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: an investigation of T-cell receptor immunophenotype, lesion topography and molecular clonality Vet Dermatol,
- 2010 Restrepo C, Ihrke PJ, White SD, Spiegel IB, Affolter VK Evaluation of the clinical efficacy of pradofloxacin tablets for the treatment of canine pyoderma J Am Anim Hosp Assoc,
- 2009 De Cock HE, Van Brantegem L, Affolter VK, Oosterlinck M, Ferraro GL, Ducatelle R Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of dermal elastin of draught horses with chronic progressive lymphoedema J Comp Pathol,
- 2009 Walder EJ, Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Affolter VK Comments on study of paw pad lesions in dogs J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2009 White SD, Affolter VK, Dewey J, Kass PH, Outerbridge C, Ihrke PJ Cutaneous vasculitis in equines: a retrospective study of 72 cases Vet Dermatol,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Affolter VK, Borchers A: Hauterkrankungen, Fey K, Kolm G, (ed),
Fohlenmedizin, Stuttgart, Germany. 254-269.
2010 Moore PF, Affolter VK: Histiocytic proliferative diseases in dogs and cats, Ettinger SJ, Feldmann EC, (ed),
Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri. 2202-2207.
2008 Moore PF, Affolter VK: Histiocytic Disease Complex, Bonagura JD, Twedt DC, (ed),
Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XIV, Philadelphia. 348-351.
2008 Affolter VK, Outerbridge CA: Vasculitis, Prelaud P, Gaguere E, Craig, M, (ed),
A practical guide to canine dermatology. 311-319.
2008 Affolter VK, Moore PF: Histiocytic Proliferative disorders, Prelaud P, Gaguere E, Craig M, (ed),
A practical guide to canine dermatology. 471-480.