Bruno Chomel- DrSc, DVM, MS, PhD
Population Health & Reproduction
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 8112
| || |
Zoonoses, Emerging Zoonoses, Veterinary Public Health, Epidemiology
1977 DVM Veterinary Medicine, Lyon's Veterinary School, Lyon, France
1981 MS Microbiology, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
1982 MS Immunology, University Cl, Bernard-Lyons I, Lyon, France
PhD Microbiology, University Cl, Bernard-Lyons I, Lyon, France
1989 Dr Sc Microbiology, Infectious Diseases, University Cl, Bernard-Lyons I, Lyon, France
Honors and Awards
1977 Henri Vallee Prize (Best student in Infectious Diseases), Lyon's School of Veterinary Medicine, Lyon, France
1978 Bronze Medal, DVM Thesis, University Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
2004 A new Bartonella species was named in my honor: "Bartonella chomelii (cho.mel'i.i. N.L. gen. n. chomelii in honour of Bruno B. Chomel, who was the first to experimentally demonstrate the transmission of Bartonella henselae by fleas in cats, and to isolate Bartonella bovis from domestic cattle. His studies on Bartonella infection in animals contributed to an improved understanding of epidemiology and vectors of Bartonella-associated disease in animals."
2004-2005 Outstanding Faculty Award, Graduate Group in Epidemiology
2007 Corresponding Foreign Member, French National Academy of Medicine
Active Research Grants
Principal Investigator, The incidence of Bartonella infection in shelter cats according to age, exploring new techniques to enhance the isolation of more zoonotic strains, and determining the proportion of cat isolates that might be infectious for people, Bruno Chomel (Principal Investigator), CCAH
Principal Investigator, Ecology of Bartonella in bats and their ectoparasites in Mexico, (Principal Investigator), UC Mexus
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2011 Hsu YM, Lin CC, Chomel BB, Tsai KH, Wu WJ, Huang CG, Chang CC Identification of Rickettsia felis in fleas but not ticks on stray cats and dogs and the evidence of Rickettsia rhipicephali only in adult stage of Rhipicephalus sanguineus and Rhipicephalus haemaphysaloides Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis,
- 2011 Schaefer JD, Kasten RW, Coonan TJ, Clifford DL, Chomel BB Isolation or detection of Bartonella vinsonii subspecies berkhoffii and Bartonella rochalimae in the endangered island foxes (Urocyon littoralis) Vet Microbiol,
- 2011 Thiptara A, Atwill ER, Kongkaew W, Chomel BB Epidemiologic trends of rabies in domestic animals in southern Thailand, 1994-2008 Am J Trop Med Hyg,
- 2011 Tsai YL, Chomel BB, Chang CC, Kass PH, Conrad PA, Chuang ST Bartonella and Babesia infections in cattle and their ticks in Taiwan Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis,
- 2011 Tsai YL, Lin CC, Chomel BB, Chuang ST, Tsai KH, Wu WJ, Huang CG, Yu JC, Sung MH, Kass PH, Chang CC Bartonella infection in shelter cats and dogs and their ectoparasites Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis (Larchmont, NY),
- 2010 Tsai YL, Chuang ST, Chang CC, Kass PH, Chomel BB Bartonella species in small mammals and their ectoparasites in Taiwan Am J Trop Med Hyg,
- 2010 Namekata DY, Kasten RW, Boman DA, Straub MH, Siperstein-Cook L, Couvelaire K, Chomel BB Oral shedding of Bartonella in cats: correlation with bacteremia and seropositivity Vet Microbiol,
- 2010 Kernif T, Aissi M, Doumandji SE, Chomel BB, Raoult D, Bitam I Molecular Evidence of Bartonella Infection in Domestic Dogs from Algeria, North Africa, by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Am J Trop Med Hyg,
- 2010 Vigil A, Ortega R, Jain A, Nakajima-Sasaki R, Tan X, Chomel BB, Kasten RW, Koehler JE, Felgner PL Identification of the Feline Humoral Immune Response to Bartonella henselae Infection by Protein Microarray PLoS One,
- 2010 Sykes JE, Westropp JL, Kasten RW, Chomel BB Association between Bartonella species infection and disease in pet cats as determined using serology and culture J Feline Med Surg,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2008 Chomel BB: Zoonoses, Ledeberg J, (ed),
Encyclopedia of Microbiology. .
2007 Chomel BB, Rolain JM: Bartonella, P. R. Murray, EJ Baron, JH Jorgensen, ML Landry, MA Pfaller, (ed),
Manual of Clinical Microbiology 9th Edition, Washington DC. .
2006 Breitschwerdt EB, Chomel BB: Chapter 33: Canine Bartonellosis, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious diseases of the dog and cat, 3rd Edition, Philadelphia, PA. 518-24.
2006 Greene CE, Berg AL, Chomel BB: Chapter 21: Hantavirus infection, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious diseases of the dog and cat, 3rd Edition, Philadelphia, PA. 162-64.
2004 Chomel BB: Less common house pets, Schlossberg D, (ed),
Infections of Leisure, 3rd Edition. 444.