Alan Conley- BVSc, MS, PhD
Population Health & Reproduction
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 2128
| || |
Comparative Reproduction [Livestock (cattle, sheep, pigs, horses), other Artiodactyla (peccaries), Human & Non-humans Primates, Reptiles (crocodilians), Carnivores (cats, dogs, hyenas), Birds]; Vertebrate sexual development and differentiation; Reproductive & molecular endocrinology; Steroidogenesis (molecular regulation & evolution)
1977 BVSc Veterinary Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
1986 MS Reproductive Physiology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
1988 PhD Reproductive Physiology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Honors and Awards
2002 Chancellor’s Fellow for Excellence in Research and Teaching. ($25,000)
2006 Pfizer Award for Excellence in Research ($1,000)
2007 Favorite Teacher (Class of 2009)
2010-2011 Gordon Research Conference, Invited Speaker, Drug Metabolism (July)
2010-2011 Faculty Teaching Award, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis
2011 Keynote speaker, University of Kentucky Symposium on Reproductive Biology and Women's Health
Member, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Toth B, Aleman M, Brosnan RJ, Dickinson PJ, Conley AJ, Stanley SD, Nogradi N, Williams CD, Madigan JE Evaluation of squeeze-induced somnolence
in neonatal foals American Journal of Veterinary Research,
- 2012 Berger T, Kentfield L, Roser JF, Conley AJ Stimulation of Sertoli cell proliferation: Defining the response interval to an inhibitor of estrogen synthesis in the boar Reproduction,
- 2012 Nguyen PTT, Lee RSF, Conley A, Sneyd J, Soboleva TK Variation in 3ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity and in pregnenolone supply rate can paradoxically alter androstenedione synthesis Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
- 2012 Madigan J, Haggett E, Pickles K, Conley A, Stanley S, Moeller B, Toth B, Aleman M Allopregnanolone infusion induced neurobehavioral alterations in a neonatal foal: Is this a clue to the pathogenesis of neonatal maladjustment syndrome? Equine Vet. J,
- 2012 Almeida J, Conley AJ, Mathewson L, Ball BA Expression of anti-Müllerian hormone, cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor (CDKN1B), androgen receptor, and connexin 43 in equine testes during puberty Theriogenology,
- 2012 Conley AJ, Corbin CJ, Thomas JL, Gee NA, Lasley BL, Moeller BC, Stanley SD, Berger T Costs and consequences of cellular compartmentalization and substrate competition among human enzymes involved in androgen and estrogen synthesis Biol Reprod,
- 2011 Almeida J, Conley AJ, Matthewsonn L, Ball BA Expression of steroidogenic enzymes during equine testicular development Reproduction,
- 2011 Conley AJ, Plant TM, Abbott DH, Moeller BC, Stanley SD Adrenal androgen concentrations increase during infancy in male rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab,
- 2011 Almeida J, Ball BA, Conley AJ, Place NJ, Liu IK, Scholtz EL, Mathewson L, Stanley SD, Moeller BC Biological and clinical significance of anti-Müllerian hormone determination in blood serum of the mare Theriogenology,
- 2011 Vandevoort CA, Hill DL, Chaffin CL, Conley AJ Ethanol, acetaldehyde, and estradiol affect growth and differentiation of Rhesus Monkey embryonic stem cells Alcohol Clin Exp Res,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2002 Bird IM, Conley AJ: Steroid biosynthesis: Enzymology, JI Mason, (ed),
Genetics of Steroid Biosynthesis and Function (Modern Genetics, V 6), New York. 280-291.
1999 Conley AJ, Walters KW: Aromatization, ,
Encyclopedia of Reproduction, Volume I. 280-291.
1998 Geisert, RD, Conley AJ: Secretion and metabolism of steroids in subprimate mammals during pregnancy, PM Conn, (ed),
Endocrinology of Pregnancy, Totowa, NJ. 291-318.
1996 Conley AJ, Mason JI: Endocrine function of the placenta, GD Thorburn and R Harding, (ed),
Textbook of Fetal Physiology, Revised Reprinted Edition, (copy not available), Oxford, UK. .
1994 Conley AJ, Mason JI: Endocrine function of the placenta, Geoffrey D Thorburn and Richard Harding, (ed),
Textbook of Fetal Physiology, Oxford, UK. 16.