1981 BS Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA
1983 DVM Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA
1984 MPVM Preventive Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA
1988 MS Statistics, University of California, Davis, CA
1990 PhD Comparative Pathology/Epidemiology, University of California, Davis, CA
1990 Post-doc Environmental Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA
Honors and Awards
2013 Who's Who in America 2013, 67th Edition, 300 Connell Drive, Suite 2000, Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922
2009-2010 Faculty Teaching Award, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
2009-2010 Who's Who in America
2009-2010 Who's Who in Health Sciences Higher Education
2007-2009 Who's Who in America
2003-2004 Outstanding Faculty Award, Graduate Group in Epidemiology
2002 European Veterinary Dental Society Research Award
1996 The Daniels Award, Daniels Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
1995 Who's Who in the West, Who's Who in Medicine citation
1992 Outstanding Faculty/Staff Award, Graduate Group in Epidemiology
1988 Student participant, Society for Epidemiologic Research Student Workshop
1987 Who's Who in Veterinary Medicine citation
1986 Outstanding Young Men of America citation
1978 Regent's Scholar
Active Research Grants
Co-Investigator, Mouse Metabolic Phenotyping Center (MMPC) at UC Davis, K.C. Kent Lloyd (Principal Investigator), National Institutes of Health
Co-Principal Investigator, Hyperthyroidism risk and exposure to brominated flame retardants, Birgit Puschner (Principal Investigator), Center for Companion Animal Health
Co-Principal Investigator, In vivo canine ocular imaging using optical coherence tomography and confocal microscopy. (Match ACVO grant to Dr. Ann Strom), CJ Murphy (Principal Investigator), Center for Companion Animal Health
Principal Investigator, Companion Animal Foodborne Disease Surveillance and Epidemiologic Investigation Program, (Principal Investigator), Mars Petcare
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2013 Lux, CN, Culp, WT, Mayhew, PD, Tong, K, Rebhun, RB, Kass, PH Perioperative outcome in dogs with hemoperitoneum: 83 cases (2005-2010). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- 2013 Kass, PH, Johnson, KL, Weng, HY Evaluation of animal control measures on pet demographics in Santa Clara County, California, 1993-2006. PeerJ,
- 2013 Stockman, J, Innis, CJ, Solano, M, O'Sullivan Brisson, J, Kass, PH, Tlusty, MF, Weber, ES Prevalence, distribution, and progression of radiographic abnormalities in the lungs of cold-stunned Kemp's ridley sea turtles (Lepidochelys kempii): 89 cases (2002-2005). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- 2013 Keller, SM, Vernau, W, Hodges, J, Kass, PH, Vilches-Moure, JG, McElliot, V, Moore, PF Hepatosplenic and hepatocytotropic T-cell lymphoma: two distinct types of T-cell lymphoma in dogs. Veterinary Pathology,
- 2013 Hawkins, MG, Malka, S, Pascoe, PJ, Solano, AM, Kass, PH, Ohmura, H, Jones, JH Evaluation of the effects of dorsal versus lateral recumbency on the cardiopulmonary system during anesthesia with isoflurane in red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis). American Journal of Veterinary Research,
- 2013 Brömel, C, Nelson, RW, Feldman, EC, Munro, CJ, Kass, PH, Vico, AE, Labelle, P, Conley, AJ Serum inhibin concentration in dogs with adrenal gland disease and in healthy dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine,
- 2013 Kilcoyne, I, Watson, JL, Kass, PH, Spier, SJ Incidence, management, and outcome of complications of castration in equids: 324 cases (1998-2008). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- 2013 Stepita, ME, Bain, MJ, Kass, PH Frequency of CPV Infection in Vaccinated Puppies that Attended Puppy Socialization Classes. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association,
- 2013 Renier, AC, Kass, PH, Magdesian, KG, Madigan, JE, Aleman, M, Pusterla, N Oleander toxicosis in equids: 30 cases (1995-2010). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- 2013 Perry, LA, Kass, PH, Johnson, DL, Ruby, AL, Shiraki, R, Westropp, JL Evaluation of culture techniques and bacterial cultures from uroliths. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2009 Kass PH: Reading and interpreting scientific literature, Robinson NE, Sprayberry KA, (ed),
Current Therapy in Equine Medicine, 6th edition, St. Louis. 33-36.
2009 Kass PH: Epidemiologic study designs, Haskell SRR, (ed),
Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Ruminant, Ames. 199-200.
2006 Kass PH, Riemann HP: Epidemiology of foodborne diseases, Riemann HP, Cliver DO, (ed),
Foodborne Infections and Intoxications, 3rd edition, London. .
2004 Kass PH: Cat overpopulation in the United States, ,
In: The Welfare of Cats, The Netherlands. .
2004 Kass PH, Gold EB: Modern epidemiologic study designs, ,
In: Handbook of Epidemiology, Germany. .