Cecilia Giulivi- MS, PhD
| || |
- Biosynthesis and metabolism of nitric oxide in mammalian cells.
- Role of nitric oxide and oxygen free radicals on mitochondria and celll functions.
- Mitochondrial nitrated proteins: role of nitration, metabolism of nitrated proteins, implications for pathophysiology.
- Oxygen and nitrogen free radical biochemistry and chemistry in in vitro and in vivo model systems. Mechanistic aspects of oxygen and nitrogen free radical damage.
- Proteomics of aging and oxidative damage of mitochondria.
- Role of mitochondria in fragile-X, tremor, ataxia syndrome, autism, and Huntington's disease.
1989 PhD Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
1985 MS Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Honors and Awards
1985-1987 Fellowship from National Research Council (CONICET) Buenos Aires, Argentina
1986 ICRO-IUB Fellowship, University Autónoma of Mexico, Mexico DF, Mexico
1986 Young Investigator Award, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires
1988 Award Sandoz to the project Human ageing. Sandoz Laboratories, Switzerland
1989 Fellowship from Fundación Antorchas, Buenos Aires
1990 Award from Sociedad Argentina de Gerontologia y Geriatria to the research project Free radicals as a cause for ageing and atherosclerosis. Co-authors: Dr. A Boveris, Mosso, Vaccarezza
2010 Autism Science Top 10 Achievement for 2010
2011 National Institute for Enviornmental Health and Safety (NIEHS) as the author of one of the top 10 scientific papers of 2011. http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2012/1/papers/index.htm
Active Research Grants
Principal Investigator, Surgical amelioration of type 2 diabetes: hormones, microbiota and mitochondria, Peter Havel(Contact)/Cecilia Giulivi (MPI) (Principal Investigator), NIH
Co-Investigator, Autism risk, prenatal environmental exposures, and pathophysiologic markers, Hertz-Picciotto (Contact), Pessah, Ozenoff (MPI) (Principal Investigator), NIH
Principal Investigator, Mitochondrial dysfunction in HD-Affected Human Fibroblasts, (Principal Investigator), CHDI Foundation, Inc.
Co-Principal Investigator, Uncovering the molecular basis of malignant hyperthermia, Paul Allen / Issach Pessah PI on project 2 (Principal Investigator), NIH / Brigham and Womens Hospital
Co-Investigator, Genotype-phenotype relationships in fragile X families, Hagerman (Principal Investigator), NIH
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2011 Pon J, Napoli E, Luckhart S, Giulivi C Mitochondrial NAD+-dependent malic enzyme from Anopheles stephensi: a possible novel target for malaria mosquito control Malaria Journal,
- 2011 Napoli E, Ross-Inta C, Wong S, Omanska-Klusek A, Barrow C, Iwahashi C, Garcia-Arocena D, Sakaguchi D, Berry-Kravis E, Hagerman R, Hagerman PJ, Giulivi C Altered Zinc Transport disrupts mitochondrial protein processing/import in fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome Hum Mol Genet,
- 2010 Villanueva C, Giulivi C Subcellular and cellular locations of nitric oxide synthase isoforms as determinants of health and disease Free Radic Biol Med,
- 2010 Ross-Inta C, Omanska-Klusek A, Wong S, Barrow C, Garcia-Arocena D, Iwahashi C, Berry-Kravis E, Hagerman RJ, Hagerman PJ, Giulivi C Evidence of mitochondrial dysfunction in fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome Biochem J,
- 2010 Perez CJ, Jaubert J, Guénet JL, Barnhart KF, Ross-Inta CM, Quintanilla VC, Aubin I, Brandon JL, Otto NW, DiGiovanni J, Gimenez-Conti I, Giulivi C, Kusewitt DF, Conti CJ, Benavides F Two hypomorphic alleles of mouse Ass1 as a new animal model of citrullinemia type I and other hyperammonemic syndromes Am J Pathol,
- 2010 Giulivi C, Zhang YF, Omanska-Klusek A, Ross-Inta C, Wong S, Hertz-Picciotto I, Tassone F, Pessah IN Mitochondrial dysfunction in autism JAMA,
- 2010 Giulivi C, Ross-Inta C, Omanska-Klusek A, Napoli E, Sakaguchi D, Barrientos G, Allen PD, Pessah IN Basal bioenergetic abnormalities in skeletal muscle from ryanodine receptor malignant hyperthermia-susceptible R163C knock-in mice J Biol Chem,
- 2010 Haynes V, Traaseth N, Elfering S, Fujisawa Y, Giulivi C Nitration of specific tyrosines in FOF1 ATP synthase and activity loss in aging Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab,
- 2009 Fujisawa Y, Kato K, Giulivi C Nitration of tyrosine 368 and 345 in beta-subunit elicits FoF1ATPase activity loss Biochem J,
- 2009 Ross-Inta CM, Zhang YF, Almendares A, Giulivi C Threonine-deficient diets induced changes in hepatic bioenergetics Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2003 Giulivi C, Oursler MJ: Role of mitochondrial oxygen and nitrogen reactive species in signaling. Chapter 17, M. Torres, J. Fukuto, and H. J. Forman, (ed),
Signal Transduction by Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species: Pathways and Chemical Principles, New York. 311-332.
1999 Giulivi C, Boveris A, Cadenas E: The steady-state concentrations of oxygen radicals in mitochondria, Daniel L. Gilbert and Carol A. Colton, (ed),
Reactive Oxygen Species in Biological Systems: Selected Topics, New York, NY. 77-102.
1994 Romero FJ, Ordoñez I, Giulivi C, Cadenas E: The interaction of sulfur compounds with ferrylmyoglobin, L. Packer and E. Cadenas, (ed),
Biological Oxidants and Antioxidants. 49-56.
1994 Cadenas E, Giulivi C, Ursini F, Boveris A: Electronically-excited state formation. Chapter 32, C. A. Tyson & J. M. Frazier, (ed),
Methods of Toxicology, Vol. I, Part B: In Vitro Toxicity Indicators. 384-399.
1993 Giulivi C, Cadenas E: Interaction of ferrylmyoglobin with trolox, vitamin E, and unsaturated fatty acids, F. Ursini and E. Cadenas, (ed),
Dietary Lipids, Antioxidants, and the Prevention of Atherosclerosis. 169-178.