Michelle G Hawkins- BS, VMD
Medicine & Epidemiology
2213 Tupper Hall
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 1393
| || |
Anesthesia, analgesia and critical patient care of companion exotic animals; Emphasis on the mechanisms of pain and pain management in birds, reptiles, and small exotic mammals
Companion Avian & Exotic Pet Medicine
1993 BS , Georgia State University, Atlanta,
1997 VMD , University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,
Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (Avian Practice)
Active Research Grants
Co-Principal Investigator, Evaluation of deslorelin acetate implants in Japanese quail, Joanne Paul-Murphy (Principal Investigator), Center for Companion Animal Health
Principal Investigator, Effects of Fentanyl Constant Rate Infusion in Hispaniolan Amazon Parrots, (Principal Investigator), Center for Companion Animal Health
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Zehnder AM, Hawkins MG, Trestrail EA, Holt RW, Kent MS Calculation of body surface area via computed tomography-guided modeling in domestic rabbits (oryctolagus cuniculus) Amer J Vet Res,
- 2012 Heinze CL, Hawkins MG, Gillies L, Wu X, German J, Walzem R, Klasing K Effect of dietary omega-3 fatty acids on red blood cell lipid composition and plasma metabolites in the cockatiel, Nymphicus hollandicus J Anim Sci,
- 2012 Andres KM, Kent M, Siedlecki CT, Mayer J, Brandao J, Hawkins MG, Morrissey JK, Quesenberry K, Valli VE, Bennett RA The use of megavoltage radiation therapy in the treatment of thymomas in rabbits: 19 cases Vet Comp Oncol,
- 2011 Osofsky A, Hawkins MG, Foreman O, Kent MS, Vernau W, Lowenstine LJ T-cell Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia in a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon Parrot (Amazona ochrocephala oratrix) J Avian Med Surg,
- 2011 Rainwater KAE, Hawkins MG, Crabbs T, Malka S Anaplastic sarcoma of probable salivary origin in a teddy-bear hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) J Exotic Pet Med,
- 2011 Pavez JC, Hawkins MG, Pascoe PJ, DiMaio Kynch HK, Kass PH Effect of fentanyl target-controlled infusions on isoflurane minimum anaesthetic concentration and cardiovascular function in red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) Vet Anaesth Analg,
- 2010 Hawkins MG, Taylor IT, Byrne BA, Armstrong RD, Tell LA Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic integration of orbifloxacin in Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) following oral and intravenous administration J Vet Pharmacol Ther,
- 2010 White SD, Bourdeau P, Bruet V, Kass PH, Tell L, Hawkins MG Reptiles with dermatological lesions: a retrospective study of 301 cases at two university veterinary teaching hospitals (1992-2008) Vet Dermatol,
- 2010 Stockman J, Hawkins MG, Burns RE, Fang Y, Brault AC, Lowenstine LJ West Nile virus infection in a green-winged macaw (Ara chloropterus) Avian Dis,
- 2010 Malka S, Hawkins MG, Zabolotzky SM, Mitchell EB, Owens SD Immune-mediated pure red cell aplasia in a domestic ferret J Am Vet Med Assoc,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2012 Hawkins MG,
Carpenter JC: Birds, Carpenter JC, Marion CJ, (ed),
Exotic Animal Formulary 4th Edition, Maryland Heights. 184-438.
2011 Hawkins MG: Chinchilla: Dermatophytosis, Oglesbee B, (ed),
The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult: Small Mammals, Maryland Heights. 15-17.
2011 Hawkins MG: Chinchilla: Alopecia, Oglesbee B, (ed),
The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult: Small Mammals, Maryland Heights. 2-4.
2011 Hawkins MG, Pascoe PJ: Anesthesia, Analgesia and Sedation of Small Mammals, Quesenberry C and Carpenter J, (ed),
Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, Maryland Heights. 429-451.
2011 Hawkins MG, Bishop C: Disease Problems of Guinea Pigs, Quesenberry C and Carpenter J, (ed),
Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, Maryland Heights. 295-310.