Jane Sykes- BVSc, PhD
Medicine & Epidemiology
2415B Tupper Hall
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 1393
| || |
Infectious diseases of dogs and cats, especially those of immunocompromised patients; fungal diseases; bloodstream-associated bacterial infections.
Small Animal Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
1998 PhD Veterinary Microbiology, University of Melbourne, Australia
1993 BVSc (Hons) , University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Honors and Awards
1989 The Baldwin Spencer Prize in Zoology Practical Work
1991 Chapter of Veterinary Pharmacology Prize for Excellence in Veterinary Pharmacology at the University of Melbourne
1991 CSL Prize for Veterinary Microbiology
1991 Dwight's Prize for Veterinary Microbiology, Parasitology and Pathology
1991/1992 Research Scholarship in Veterinary Science
1993 First Class Honours Awarded - Dean's Honours List
1993 The AVA (Vic. Div.) prize in veterinary science for the top student in final year
1993 Hill's Pet Nutrition Prize in Small Animal Medicine
1993 The ASAVA/Uncle Ben's Award for Clinical Proficiency
1993 CVDL Prize for Excellence in Clinical Pathology
1993 Payne Exhibition for the Highest Aggregate marks in the Clinical Subjects of the Examinations in the Fifth Year of the BVSc Course
1993 Prize for the Best Bovine Case Report
1994-1995 CSL Scholarship for Infectious Diseases
1995 ACVIM Forum research abstract and scientific poster session competition winner
1995 Barrenger Scholarship for Overseas Travel/Study
1996 John Nevill Research Scholarship
1996-1998 Australian Postgraduate Award
1997 School of Graduate Studies Traveling Scholarship
1997 Rowden White Prize (for achievement in research)
2011 Award for the second most downloaded article in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
2011 Best abstract by a resident at the 29th Annual American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Conference, Denver, CO, June 2011.
2013 Award for one of the top 5 downloaded articles in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2011 and 2012
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Active Research Grants
Co-Investigator, Canine Leptospirosis: A Forgotten Disease of Dogs?, Janet Foley (Principal Investigator), American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation
Principal Investigator, Rapid Serodiagnosis for Canine Leptospirosis, (Principal Investigator), IDEXX Laboratories
Principal Investigator, Specificity of PCR and culture for leptospirosis, (Principal Investigator), Merck Animal Health
Principal Investigator, Babesia conradae and hemoplasma co-infections in a greyhound population, (Principal Investigator), UC Davis Center for Companion Animal Health
Collaborator, Uncovering the genetic basis of fungal virulence to enable a targeted response to human and animal mycoses, Wieland Meyer (Principal Investigator), National Health and Medical Research Council, Australian Government
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2013 Santos LC, Cubilla MP, de Moraes W, Cubas ZS, Oliveira MJ, Estrada M, Leutenegger CM, Sykes JE, Lindsay LL, Marcondes M, Filho IRB, Biondo AW Hemotropic Mycoplasma in a Free-ranging Black Howler Monkey (Alouatta caraya) in Brazil Journal of Wildlife Diseases,
- 2013 Hennebelle JH, Sykes JE, Carpenter TE, Foley J Spatial and temporal patterns of Leptospira infection in dogs from northern California: 67 cases (2001-2010) J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2013 Johnson LR, Queen EV, Vernau W, Sykes JE, Byrne BA Microbiologic and cytologic assessment of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from dogs with lower respiratory tract infection: 105 cases (2001-2011) J Vet Intern Med,
- 2013 Eckholm N, Outerbridge C, White S, Sykes J Prevalence of and risk factors for infection with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus spp. in dogs with pyoderma Vet Dermatol,
- 2012 Wynne J, Klause S, Stadler CK, Pye GW, Meyer W, Sykes JE Pre-shipment testing succes: Resolution of a nasal sinus granuloma in a captive koala (phascolarctos cinereus) caused by cryptococcus gatti J Zoo Wildl Med,
- 2012 Garcia R, Wheat LJ, Cook A, Kirsch E, Sykes JE Sensitivity and specificity of a blood and urine galactomannan antigen assay for diagnosis of systemic aspergillosis in dogs J Vet Intern Med,
- 2012 Westropp JL, Sykes JE, Irom S, Daniels J, Smith A, Keil D, Settje T, Wang Y, Chew D Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of high dose short duration enrofloxacin treatment regimen for uncomplicated urinary tract infections in dogs J Vet Intern Med,
- 2012 Kirsch EJ, Greene RT, Prahl A, Sykes JE, Wheat LJ Evaluation of Coccidioides antigen detection in dogs with Coccidioidomycosis Clin Vaccine Immunol,
- 2011 Sykes JE, Dubey JP, Lindsay LL, Prato P, Lappin MR, Guo LT, Mizisin AP, Shelton GD Severe myositis associated with Sarcocystis spp. infection in 2 dogs J Vet Intern Med,
- 2011 Boyce W, Shender L, Schultz L, Vickers W, Johnson C, Ziccardi M, Beckett L, Padgett K, Crosbie P, Sykes JE Survival analysis of dogs diagnosed with canine peritoneal larval cestodiasis (Mesocestoides spp.) Vet Parasitol,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2013 Chomel BB, Sykes JE: Bartonellosis, Merial, (ed),
Guide to Vector-Borne Diseases of Pets. .
2013 Sykes JE: Haemoplasmosis, ,
Guide to Vector-Borne Diseases of Pets. .
2011 Foreyt, Gorham W, Sykes JE: Neorickettsia helminthoeca infection, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 220-223.
2011 Greene CE, Sykes JE, Moore GE, Goldstein RE, Schultz RD: Leptospirosis, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 431-446.
2011 Sykes JE and Greene CE: Chlamydial Infections, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 270-276.