Jane Sykes- BVSc, PhD
Medicine & Epidemiology
2415B Tupper Hall
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 1393
| || |
Infectious diseases of dogs and cats, especially those of immunocompromised patients; blood-associated bacterial infections, especially bacterial infections of the erythrocyte.
Small Animal Medicine
1998 PhD Veterinary microbiology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1993 BVSc (Hons) , University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Honors and Awards
1989 The Baldwin Spencer Prize in Zoology Practical Work
1991 Chapter of Veterinary Pharmacology Prize for Excellence in Veterinary Pharmacology at the University of Melbourne
1991 CSL Prize for Veterinary Microbiology
1991 Dwight's Prize for Veterinary Microbiology, Parasitology and Pathology
1991/1992 Research Scholarship in Veterinary Science
1993 First Class Honours Awarded - Dean's Honours List
1993 The AVA (Vic. Div.) prize in veterinary science for the top student in final year
1993 Hill's Pet Nutrition Prize in Small Animal Medicine
1993 The ASAVA/Uncle Ben's Award for Clinical Proficiency
1993 CVDL Prize for Excellence in Clinical Pathology
1993 Payne Exhibition for the Highest Aggregate marks in the Clinical Subjects of the Examinations in the Fifth Year of the BVSc Course
1993 Prize for the Best Bovine Case Report
1994-1995 CSL Scholarship for infectious diseases
1995 Research abstract and scientific poster session competition winner
1995 Barrenger Scholarship for Overseas Travel/Study
1996 John Nevill Research Scholarship
1996-1998 Australian Postgraduate Award
1997 School of Graduate Studies Traveling Scholarship
1997 Rowden White Prize (for achievement in research)
2011 Award for the second most downloaded article in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
2011 Best abstract by a resident at the 29th Annual American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Conference, Denver, CO, June 2011.
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Active Research Grants
Co-Investigator, Canine Leptospirosis: A Forgotten Disease of Dogs?, Janet Foley (Principle Investigator), American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation
Principal Investigator, Rapid Serodiagnosis for Canine Leptospirosis, (Principle Investigator), IDEXX Laboratories
Principal Investigator, Specificity of PCR and culture for leptospirosis, (Principle Investigator), Merck Animal Health
Principal Investigator, Babesia conradae and hemoplasma co-infections in a greyhound population, (Principle Investigator), UC Davis Center for Companion Animal Health
Collaborator, Uncovering the genetic basis of fungal virulence to enable a targeted response to human and animal mycoses, Wieland Meyer (Principle Investigator), National Health and Medical Research Council, Australian Government
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Kirsch EJ, Greene RT, Prahl A, Sykes JE, Wheat LJ Evaluation of Coccidioides Antigen Detection in Dogs with Coccidioidomycosis Clin. Vaccine Immunol. doi:10.1128/CVI.05631-11,
- 2012 Westropp JL, Sykes JE, Irom S, Daniels J, Smith A, Keil D, Settje T, Wang Y, Chew D Evaluation of the Efficacy and Safety of High Dose Short Duration Enrofloxacin Treatment Regimen for Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections in Dogs Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine,
- 2011 Sykes JE, Dubey JP, Lindsay LL, Prato P, Lappin MR, Guo LT, Mizisin AP, Shelton GD Severe myositis associated with Sarcocystis spp. infection in 2 dogs J Vet Intern Med,
- 2011 Boyce W, Shender L, Schultz L, Vickers W, Johnson C, Ziccardi M, Beckett L, Padgett K, Crosbie P, Sykes JE Survival analysis of dogs diagnosed with canine peritoneal larval cestodiasis (Mesocestoides spp.) Vet Parasitol,
- 2011 Trivedi SR, Sykes JE, Cannon MS, Wisner ER, Meyer W, Sturges BK, Dickinson PJ, Johnson LR Clinical features and epidemiology of cryptococcosis in cats and dogs in California: 93 cases (1988-2010) JAVMA,
- 2011 Carrade D, Foley JE, Sullivan MP, Foley CW, Sykes JE Spatial distribution of seroprevalence for Anaplasma phagocytophilum, borrelia burgdorferi, ehrlichia canis, and dirofilaria immitis in dogs in Washington, Oregon, and California Veterinary Clinical Pathology,
- 2010 Sykes JE, Sturges BK, Cannon MS, Gericota B, Higgins RJ, Trivedi SR, Dickinson PJ, Vernau KM, Meyer W, Wisner ER Clinical signs, imaging features, neuropathology, and outcome in cats and dogs with central nervous system cryptococcosis from California J Vet Intern Med,
- 2010 Sykes JE, Lindsay LL, Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB Human coinfection with Bartonella henselae and two hemotropic mycoplasma variants resembling Mycoplasma ovis Journal of Clinical Microbiology,
- 2010 Sykes JE, Mapes S, Lindsay LL, Samitz E, Byrne BA Corynebacterium ulcerans bronchopneumonia in a dog J Vet Intern Med,
- 2010 Kruger EF, Byrne BA, Pesavento PA, Hurley KF, Lindsay LL, Sykes JE Relationship between clinical manifestations and pulsed-field gel profiles of Streptococcus canis isolates from dogs and cats Veterinary Microbiology,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Sykes JE, Malik RM: Cryptococcosis, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition, St Louis. 621-634.
2011 Sykes JE: Actinomycosis and Nocardiosis, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 484-494.
2011 Foreyt, Gorham W, Sykes JE: Neorickettsia helminthoeca infection, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 220-223.
2011 Greene CE, Sykes JE, Moore GE, Goldstein RE, Schultz RD: Leptospirosis, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 431-446.
2011 Sykes JE and Greene CE: Chlamydial Infections, Greene CE, (ed),
Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th edition. 270-276.