William David Wilson- BVMS, MS
Medicine & Epidemiology
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 2957
| || |
Equine Infectious Diseases; Clinical Pharmacology; Antimicrobial Therapy; Vaccination and Preventive Medicine
Equine Internal Medicine
1975 BVMS Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, Glasgow University, Scotland,
1980 MS Medicine and Immunology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
Honors and Awards
1972-1975 Certificate of Merit (2nd class) in Anatomy, Histology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Medicine/Pathology and Surgery/Reproduction
1973-1975 Certificate of Merit (1st class) in Animal Management and Husbandry, Medicine, Surgery and Reproduction
1973 Silver Medal for Outstanding Student in Animal Husbandry
1973 Alex Thompson Award for Animal Management
1975 Graduation with Commendation
1980 Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
1980 Phi Zeta Honor Society
1980 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
1988 Senior Student Favorite Faculty Member Award
1989 Senior Student Favorite Faculty Member Award
1989 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award
1989 Faculty Speaker at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Commencement
1991 Senior Student Favorite Faculty Member Award
2006 Class of 2007 Favorite Teacher Award for 2005-2006, University of California.
2006 Class of 2008 Favorite Teacher Award for 2005-2006, University of California.
State Licensure - Iowa
USDA Federal Veterinary Accreditation
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Walsh DA, Zeck S, Wall JA, Smith BP, Wilson WD Criterion-referenced evaluation of day one clinical competencies of veterinary students: VOLES-the VMTH (Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital) Online Evaluation System J Vet Med Educ,
- 2011 Leclere M, Magdesian KG, Cole CA, Szabo NJ, Ruby RE, Rhodes DM, Edman J, Vale A, Wilson WD, Tell LA Pharmacokinetics and preliminary safety evaluation of azithromycin in adult horses J Vet Pharmacol Ther,
- 2011 Pusterla N, Conrad PA, Packham AE, Mapes SM, Finno CJ, Gardner IA, Barr BC, Ferraro GL, Wilson WD Endogenous transplacental transmission of Neospora hughesi in naturally infected horses Int J Parasitol,
- 2010 Pusterla N, Mapes S, Wilson WD Prevalence of equine herpesvirus type 1 in trigeminal ganglia and submandibular lymph nodes of equids examined postmortem Vet Rec,
- 2010 Pusterla N, Hussey SB, Mapes S, Johnson C, Collier JR, Hill J, Lunn DP, Wilson WD Molecular investigation of the viral kinetics of equine herpesvirus-1 in blood and nasal secretions of horses after corticosteroid-induced recrudescence of latent infection J Vet Intern Med,
- 2010 Yamarik TA, Wilson WD, Wiebe VJ, Pusterla N, Edman J, Papich MG Pharmacokinetics and toxicity of ciprofloxacin in adult horses J Vet Pharmacol Ther,
- 2009 Pusterla N, Mapes S, Madigan JE, Maclachlan NJ, Ferraro GL, Watson JL, Spier SJ, Wilson WD Prevalence of EHV-1 in adult horses transported over long distances Vet Rec,
- 2009 Pusterla N, Hussey SB, Mapes S, Leutenegger CM, Madigan JE, Ferraro GL, Wilson WD, Lunn DP Comparison of four methods to quantify Equid herpesvirus 1 load by real-time polymerase chain reaction in nasal secretions of experimentally and naturally infected horses J Vet Diagn Invest,
- 2009 Pusterla N, Wilson WD, Mapes S, Finno C, Isbell D, Arthur RM, Ferraro GL Characterization of viral loads, strain and state of equine herpesvirus-1 using real-time PCR in horses following natural exposure at a racetrack in California Vet J,
- 2008 Pusterla N, Mapes S, Wilson WD Diagnostic sensitivity of nasopharyngeal and nasal swabs for the molecular detection of EHV-1 Vet Rec,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Wilson WD: Vaccination of mares, foals and weanlings, McKinnon AO, Squires EL, Vaala WE, Varner DD, (ed),
Equine Reproduction, 2nd edition, Chichester, UK. 302-328.
2010 Wilson WD, Pusterla N: Equine herpesvirus-1 myeloencephalopathy, Reed SM, Bayly WM, Sellon DC, (ed),
Textbook of Equine Internal Medicine, 3rd edition, St. Louis. 615-622.
2008 Wilson WD, Pusterla N: Equine vaccination and infectious disease control (Chapter 48), Smith BP, (ed),
Large Animal Internal Medicine, 4th edition, St. Louis. 1557-1587.
2008 Valberg SJ, Wilson WD: Alterations in respiratory function (Chapter 5): Exercise intolerance and poor performance, Smith BP, (ed),
Large Animal Internal Medicine, 4th edition, St. Louis. 76-82.
2008 Wilson WD, Lofstedt J: Alterations in respiratory function (Chapter 5): Cough; Nasal discharge; Epistaxis and hemoptysis; Tachypnea; Respiratory distress (dyspnea); Cyanosis; Abnormal respiratory noise (stridor), Smith BP, (ed),
Large Animal Internal Medicine, 4th edition, St. Louis. 42-76.