Peter Havel- BS, DVM, PhD
3426 Meyer Hall
Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 752 6553
| || |
Nutrition, Metabolism, Integrative Physiology, Endocrinology, and Pharmacology.
Application of physiological, biochemical, and molecular approaches for the investigation of endocrine function and the clinical syndromes diabetes and obesity, and cardiovascular disease.
Pharmacological treatment of diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease
Physiology and pathophysiology of pancreatic, gastrointestinal and adipocyte hormones, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in humans and animals, including clinical research and studies in nonhuman primate and rodent models of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease and molecular/biochemical studies using in vitro systems.
Pharmacological and nutritional prevention and treatment of diabetes and obesity, and CVD.
1988 BS Zoology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
1994 DVM , University of California, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis
1994 PhD Area of Specialization&I#58; Pharmacology., University of California, Davis
Honors and Awards
1988-93 NIH Predoctoral Training Fellowship, Dept. of Nutrition, University of California, Davis
1989-1990 New Investigator Travel Awards, The Endocrine Society
1990 University of California Regents' Fellowship, Graduate Division, UC Davis
1990-1993 Achievement Awards for College Scientists (ARCS) researchy fellowships, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis
1990, 1991 New Investigator Travel Awards, European Association for the Study of Diabetes
1991 Robert Emrie Smith Memorial Research Fellowship for research achievement, Dept of Physiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis
1994 Phi Zeta Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine (Lambda Chapter)
1994 Journal Scholarship Award, Charles Louis Davis Foundation for Advancement of Veterinary and Comparative Pathology for outstanding paper in Veterinary Pathology
1996 New Investigator Award, North American Society for the Study of Obesity
1999 Outstanding Investigator Award, American Federation for Medical Research (Western Section). Presented at the Annual meeting in Carmel, CA
2000 Shih-Chun Wang Award from the American Physiological Society for excellence in physiology research. (Includes $12,000 monetary award for recipient's research program)
2003 Academic Federation Award for Excellence in Research, Academic Federation Committee on Research, University of California, Davis.
2006 Professional Award for original research in Human Nutrition from Grupo Bimbo Panamericano. Award presented in Mexico City, March, 2007.
2009 Pfizer Visiting Professor in Obesity at the University of Colorado, Denver and presented Endocrine Grand Rounds and Renal Grand Rounds in September, 2009
Active Research Grants
Principal Investigator, Effects of 2-weeks fructose & HFCS consumption on dyslipidemia & insulin resistance, (Principal Investigator), NIH/NHLBI
Principal Investigator, Prevention of diabetes with growth hormone and liraglutide alone and in combination in UC Davis Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Rats, (Principal Investigator), Novo Nordisk, Inc. Copenhagen, Demark
Co-Investigator, Stress, socioeconomic status and obesity, Eppel (Principal Investigator), UCOP
Principal Investigator, Prevention of type 2 diabetes melliltus with alogliptin and pioglitazone, alone and in combination in UCD-T2DM rat model of type 2 diabetes, (Principal Investigator), Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc.
Principal Investigator, Fatty acid sources of fructose & HFCS-induced postprandial hypertriglyceridemia, (Principal Investigator), NIH/NHLBI
Principal Investigator, Genetics of obesity in Yup'ik Eskimos, (Principal Investigator), NUTR: Havel lab assays, Univ. of Alaska
Principal Investigator, Dissecting mechanisms by which IT and VSG surgery delay type 2 diabetes onset in the UCD-T2DM rat, (Principal Investigator), NIH
Principal Investigator, MOUSE METABOLIC PHENOTYPING CENTER (MMPC) AT UC DAVIS, (Principal Investigator), NIH
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Lee J, Cummings BP, Martin E, Sharp JW, Graham JL, Stanhope KL, Havel PJ, Raybould HE Glucose sensing by gut endocrine cells and activation of the vagal afferent pathway is impaired in a rodent model of type 2 diabetes mellitus Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol,
- 2012 Nagata N, Matsuo K, Bettaieb A, Bakke J, Matsuo I, Graham J, Xi Y, Liu S, Tomilov A, Tomilova N, Gray S, Jung DY, Ramsey JJ, Kim JK, Cortopassi G, Havel PJ, Haj FG Hepatic Src homology phosphatase 2 regulates energy balance in mice Endocrinology,
- 2012 Cox CL, Stanhope KL, Schwarz JM, Graham JL, Hatcher B, Griffen SC, Bremer AA, Berglund L, McGahan JP, Havel PJ, Keim, NL Consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages for 10 weeks reduces net fat oxidation and energy expenditure in overweight/obese men and women Eur J Clin Nutr,
- 2012 Despa S, Margulies KB, Chen L, Knowlton AA, Havel PJ, Taegtmeyer H, Bers DM, Despa F Hyperamylinemia contributes to cardiac dysfunction in obesity and diabetes: a study in humans and rats. Circ Res,
- 2012 Stookey JD, Hamer J, Espinoza G, Higa A, Ng V, Tinajero-Deck L, Havel PJ, King JC Orange juice limits postprandial fat oxidation after breakfast in normal-weight adolescents and adults Adv Nutr,
- 2012 Butler AA, Tam CS, Stanhope KL, Wolfe BM, Ali MR, O'Keeffe M, St-Onge MP, Ravussin E, Havel PJ Low Circulating Adropin Concentrations with Obesity and Aging Correlate with Risk Factors for Metabolic Disease and Increase after Gastric Bypass Surgery in Humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab,
- 2012 Daubenmier J, Lin J, Blackburn E, Hecht FM, Kristeller J, Maninger N, Kuwata M, Bacchetti P, Havel PJ, Epel E Changes in stress, eating, and metabolic factors are related to changes in telomerase activity in a randomized mindfulness intervention pilot study. Psychoneuroendocrinology,
- 2012 Cummings BP, Bettaieb A, Graham JL, Stanhope KL, Kowala M, Haj FG, Chouinard ML, Havel PJ Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Improves Glucose and Lipid Metabolism and Delays Diabetes Onset in UCD-T2DM Rats Endocrinology,
- 2012 Cox CL, Stanhope KL, Schwarz JM, Graham JL, Hatcher B, Griffen SC, Breme, AA, Berglund L, McGahan JP, Keim NL, Havel PJ Consumption of fructose- but not glucose-sweetened beverages for 10 weeks increases circulating concentrations of uric acid, retinol binding protein- 4, and gamma-glutamyl transferase activity in overweight/obese humans Nutr Metab (Lond),
- 2012 Tomiyama AJ, Schamarek I, Lustig RH, Kirschbaum C, Puterman E, Havel PJ, Epel ES Leptin concentrations in response to acute stress predict subsequent intake of comfort foods Physiol Behav,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Havel PJ, Bremer AA: Endocrine Regulation of energy Homeostasis: Implications for Obesity and diabetes, MS Ríos, JM Ordovás, JA Gutiérrez-Fuentes, (ed),
2008 Havel PJ: Endocrine and metabolic consequences of consuming beverages containing glucose and/or fructose, ,
Issues in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Risk Management, Chevy Chase, MD. 18-20.
2007 Taborsky GJ, Ahren B, Havel PJ: Autonomic Mediation of Glucagon Secretion During Hypoglycemia, P. Robertson, (ed),
Commentaries on Perspectives in Diabetes. 42-54.
2007 Havel PJ: Sorting out satiety and weight regulation:hormones and dietary macronutrients, G Wardlaw, (ed),
Perspectives in Nutrition, 7th Edition. 479-480.
2005 Keim NL, Levin RJ, Havel PJ: Carbohydrates, AC Ross, (ed),
Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 10th Edition. 62-82.