Animal Welfare/Well being and protection:
Stress in agricultural species. OBJECTIVE: Assess the well-being of agricultural animals in various environments, commercial systems, or the application of management practices.
APPROACH: Develop research plans that focus on the well-being of agricultural animals in commercial systems in California and assess alternative systems.
Informational transfer of scientific data on welfare of agricultural species. OBJECTIVE: To develop effective and efficient venues to transfer information on the well-being of agricultural animals to the appropriate audiences including producers, animal protection groups, regulation and policy makers, consumers, and scientists. APPROACH: Using both traditional and innovative communication methods, extend and expand knowledge to end-users that will assist in making economic, political and justifiable welfare decisions and strategies on the use and methodology of agricultural animals as food and companions in California, the US, and globally.
1977 BS Biochemistry, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN
1979 MS Animal Science, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
1984 PhD Animal Science, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Honors and Awards
1996 California State University, Fresno. Recognition Award for Outstanding Service to Horse Program.
1996 United States Department of Agriculture. Certificate of Appreciation for Contribution to Horse Protection Program.
2002 Hank Award 2001, Rio Vista Products, Santa Maria, CA. Recognizes outstanding individual committed to rescue work with horses and dogs.
1999-2002 American Society of Animal Science. Service Appreciation Award for service on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Animal Science.
2003 Federation of Animal Science Societies. Certificate of Appreciation for service on the FASS-American Registry Professional Animal Scientist Animal Care Project.
2003 International League for the Protection of Horses, MSPCA, and Federation Equestre Internationale. Certificate of Appreciation for contribution to the Second International Conference on the Transportation of Horses.
2004 Federation of Animal Societies. Plaque of Appreciation for leadership in developing the Farm Animal Worker Training programs.
2006 Scientists Center for Animal Welfare. Certificate of Participation. The Humane Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research.
2009 American Horse Publications Annual Award, 2nd place for "Equine Sanctuary and Rescue Facility Guidelines"
2010 International Symposium of Beef Cattle Welfare recognition award plague
2010 Certification, Horse Handling and Animal welfare Assessment Training Program. Horse Welfare Alliance of Canada
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 C. L. Stull The journey to slaughter for North American horses Animal Frontiers,
- 2011 Maier GU, Hoar BR, Stull CL, Kass PH, Villanueva V, Maas J Effect of a nutritional reconditioning program for thin dairy cattle on body weight, carcass quality, and fecal pathogen shedding Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- 2010 Holcomb KE, Stull CL, Kass PH Unwanted horses: The role of nonprofit equine rescue and sanctuary organizations J Anim Sci,
- 2010 Stull C, Rodiek A, Coleman R, Ralston S, Topliff D, Millman S Chapter 8: Horses Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Teaching and Research,
- 2010 Grandin T, Stookey J, Sutherland M, Webster AB, Stull CL, Hill J Chapter 5: Animal Handling and Transport Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Teaching and Research,
- 2009 Ritter MJ, Ellis M, Berry NL, Curtis SE, Anil L, Berg E, Benjamin M, Butler D, Butler C, Dewey C, Driessen B, DuBois P, Hill JD, Marchant-Forde JN, Matzat P, McGlone J, Mormede P, Moyer T, Pfalzgaf K, Salak Johnson J, Siemens M, Sterle J, Stull C, Whiting T, Wolter B, Niekamp SR, Johnson AK Transport losses in market weight pigs: A review of definitions, incidence, and economic impact The Professional Animal Scientist,
- 2009 Stull CL Refeeding the starved horse Proc of the 7th Annual Mid-Atlantic Nutrition Conference,
- 2008 Higginbotham GE, Stull CL, Peterson NG, Rodiek AV, Reed BA, Guerrero JN Alfalfa utilization by livestock (Chapter 17) Irrigated alfalfa Management in Mediterranean and Desert Zones,
- 2008 Stull CL, Reynolds J Calf Welfare Vet Clin Food Anim,
- 2008 Stull CL, Messam LL McV, Collar CA, Peterson NG, Castillo AR, Reed BA, Andersen KL, VerBoort WR Precipitation and temperature effects on mortality and lactation parameters of dairy cattle in California J Dairy Sci,