1986 DVM Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
1979 BS , Andrews University,
1988 MS , Oregon State University,
1998 DACVIM (Neurology) Neurology/Neurosurgery, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of California, Davis
2009 MAS Mentored Clinical Research Training Program (K-30), University of California, Davis, CA
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2014 Aleman M, Dickinson PJ, Williams DC, Sturges BK, LeCouteur RA, Vernau KM, Shelton GD. Electrophysiologic Confirmation of Heterogenous Motor Polyneuropathy in Young Cats J Vet Intern Med,
- 2014 Howbert JJ, Patterson E, Stead M, Vasoli V, Crepeau D, Vite C, Sturges BK, Ruedebusch V, Mavoori J, Leyde K, Sheffield W, Litt B, Worrell G Forecasting Seizures in Dogs with Naturally Occurring Epilepsy PloS One,
- 2014 Goodnight AL, Traslavina RP, Emanuelson K, Affolter VK, Gaffney PM, Vernau W, Williams C, Wu CI-K, Sturges BK, Lowenstine LJ Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Anal Sac in a Spotted Hyena (Croicuta Crocuta) Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine,
- 2014 Gericota B, Anderson JS, Mitchell G, Borjesson DL, Sturges BK, Nolta JA, Sieber-Blum M Canine Epidermal Neural Crest Stem Cells (cEPI-NCSC) – Characterization and Potential as a Therapy Candidate for a Large Animal Model of Spinal Cord Injury Stem Cells Translational Medicine,
- 2013 Garcia TC, Sturges BK, Stover SM, Aoki K, Liang JM, Reinhardt KB, Kapatkin AS Forelimb brachial muscle activation patterns using surface electromyography and their relationship to kinematics in normal dogs walking and trotting Comparative Exercise Physiology,
- 2013 Anwer CC, Vernau KM, Higgins RJ, Dickinson PJ, Sturges BK, LeCouteur RA, Bentley RT, Wisner ER Magnetic resonance imaging features of intracranial granular cell tumors in 6 dogs Vet Radiol & Ultrasound,
- 2013 Vernau KM, Runstadler JA, Brown EA, Cameron JM, Huson HJ; Higgins RJ, Ackerley C, Sturges BK, Dickinson PJ, Puschner B, Giulivia C, Shelton GD, Robinson BH, DiMauro S, Bollen AW Genome-wide Association Analysis Identifies a Mutation in the Thiamine Transporter 2 (SLC19A3) Gene Associated with Alaskan Husky Encephalopathy PLoS One,
- 2011 Trivedi SR, Sykes JE, Cannon MS, Wisner ER, Meyer W, Sturges BK, Dickinson PJ, Johnson LR Clinical features and epidemiology of cryptococcosis in cats and dogs in California: 93 cases (1988-2010) J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2011 Davis KA, Sturges BK, Vite CH, Ruedebusch V, Worrell G, Gardner AB, Leyde K, Sheffield WD, Litt B A novel implanted device to wirelessly record and analyze continuous intracranial canine EEG Epilepsy Res,
- 2010 Sykes JE, Sturges BK, Cannon MS, Gericota B, Higgins RJ, Trivedi SR, Dickinson PJ, Vernau KM, Meyer W, Wisner ER Clinical signs, imaging features, neuropathology, and outcome in cats and dogs with central nervous system cryptococcosis from California J Vet Intern Med,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2014 Sturges BK: Atlantoaxial Instability, Etienne Cote, (ed),
Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats, 3rd Edition. .
2013 Sturges BK, Dickinson PJ: Principles of Neurosurgery, Platt SR, Olby NJ, (ed),
BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Neurology, 4th Ed. .
2013 Sturges BK: Diagnosis and Treatment of Atlantoaxial Subluxation, Bonagura JD, Twedt DC, (ed),
Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XV, 1st Edition. .
2010 Sturges BK, Westworth DR: Congenital Spinal Malformations in Small Animals, Ronaldo C. da Costa, (ed),
Veterinary Clinics of North America. 951-981.
2009 Sturges BK, Knipe MF: Sleep disorders, ,
Ettinger's Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 7th edition. 234-8.