Melissa Bain- DVM, MS
Assistant Professor of Clinical
Medicine & Epidemiology
2105 Tupper Hall
Davis, CA 95616
| || |
Evaluating the effectiveness of prevention and treatment of problem behaviors, primarily in primarily companion animals, and the effects on the human-animal bond and humane care of animals.
1990 Animal Science, University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, Urbana, IL
1994 DVM Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, Urbana, IL
2007 MS Advanced Clinical Research, University of California School of Medicine, Davis, CA
2007 Teaching Scholars Program, University of California Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, Sacramento, CA
Honors and Awards
2008 Cello Distinguished Lecturer at the UC Davis SVM Fall Symposium in 2008
California Veterinary Medical Board
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
Active Research Grants
Principal Investigator, The effect of different types of classical music at a veterinary hospital on the behavior of pets and owner satisfaction, (Principal Investigator), American Humane Association and Student Training in Advanced Research
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Bain MJ, Fan CM Animal behavior case of the month: Tail-chasing in a Bull Terrier J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2011 Hart LA, Storm WA, Ducceschi L, Wood MW, Tablin F, Lane VM, Bain MJ Personalized Resources on Animal Biology in U.S. Veterinary Medical Education ALTEX Proceedings World Congress,
- 2010 Malamed R, Berger J, Bain MJ, Kass P, Spier SJ Retrospective evaluation of crib-biting and windsucking behaviours and owner-perceived behavioural traits as risk factors for colic in horses Equine Vet J,
- 2009 Helms TD, Bain MJ Evaluation of owner attachment to dogs on the basis of whether owners are legally considered guardians of their pets J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2008 Marks SL, Bain MJ, White M Animal behavior case of the month: Inappetance in a German Shepherd Dog J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2007 Tynes VV, Hart BL, Bain MJ Human-directed aggression in miniature pet pigs J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2003 Tynes VV, Hart BL, Pryor PA, Bain MJ, Messam LL Evaluation of the role of lower urinary tract disease in cats with urine-marking behavior J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2002 Bergman L, Hart BL, Bain MJ, Cliff KD Evaluation of urine marking as a model for understanding veterinary diagnostic and treatment approaches and client attitudes J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2002 Pryor PA, Hart BL, Bain MJ, Cliff KD Causes of urine marking in cats and effects of environmental management on frequency of marking J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2002 Pryor PA, Hart BL, Cliff KD, Bain MJ Effects of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor on urine spraying behavior in cats J Am Vet Med Assoc,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Bain MJ: Housesoiling-Dogs, Tilley LP, Smith F, (ed),
Five Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, 5th edition, Hoboken, NJ. .
2009 Bain MJ: Animal Welfare and the Effects of Behavior on the Human-Animal Bond, Beckoff M, (ed),
Encyclopedia of Animal Rights and Animal Welfare: 2nd Edition. .
2008 Bain MJ: Dog Parks are Great, But Use Common Sense, Becker M, Spadaforri G, (ed),
The Ultimate Dog Lover, Deerfield Beach, Fl. .
2010 Bain MJ: Aggression toward unfamiliar people and animals, Horwitz D, Mills D, (ed),
BSAVA Manual of Behavioural Medicine, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. .
2008 Bain MJ: Housesoiling-Dogs, Tilley LP, Smith F, (ed),
5-Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, 4th edition, Ames. 638-639.