Dolores V Baxa- BS, MS, PhD
Associate Project Scientist
Anatomy, Physiology & Cell Biology
1089 Veterinary Medicine Drive, Davis, CA 95616
+1 530 754 8020
| || |
Infectious Diseases of Fish and Aquatic Toxicology
Understand and manage fish health due to synergistic interaction of infectious disease agents, toxicants, and other multiple stressors in California watersheds
1978 BS Inland Fisheries, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
1984 MS Biology, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
1988 PhD Fish Pathology, Kochi University, Kochi, Japan
Honors and Awards
1999 US Patent No. 5,962,227, DNA-based diagnostic test for detecting Myxobolus cerebralis, the cause of salmonid whirling disease.
1998 Most Significant Paper Award - American Fisheries Society, Detection of Myxobolus cerebralis in rainbow trout and oligochaete tissues by using a noradioactive in situ hybridization (ISH) protocol.
1994 Best Paper Award - American Fisheries Society, Effects of the corticosteroid kenalog on the carrier state of juvenile channel catfish exposed to Edwardsiella ictaluri.
1984-88 Fellowship Award, Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan.
Active Research Grants
Co-Investigator, Fall X2 Fish Health Study: Contrasts in health indices, growth, and reproductive fitness of delta smelt and other pelagic fishes rearing in the low salinity zone and Cache Slough regions, SJ Teh (Principal Investigator), Department of Fish and Game
Co-Principal Investigator, Pelagic Organism Decline/Habitat Study Group Investigations, Swee J Teh (Principal Investigator), USDI/USBR
Co-Principal Investigator, Effects of Microcystis aeruginosa in Threadfin Shad (Dorosoma petenense), Swee J. Teh (Principal Investigator), CA Department of Water Resourses
Co-Investigator, Contrasts in Health Indices of Delta Smelt Reared in the Low Salinity Zone and Cache Slough Regions in Summer 2012-2013, SJ Teh (Principal Investigator), Interagency Ecological Program (IEP)
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Acuña S, Baxa D, Teh S Sublethal dietary effects of microcystin producing Microcystis on threadfin shad, Dorosoma petenense Toxicon,
- 2011 Marcos-Lopez M, Waltzek TB, Hedrick RP, Baxa DV, Garber AF, Liston R, Johnsen E, Forward BS, Backman S, Ferguson HW Characterization of a novel alloherpesvirus from Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation,
- 2010 Ger KA, Teh SJ, Baxa DV, Lesmeister S, Goldman CR The effects of dietary Microcystis aeruginosa and microcystin on the copepods of the upper San Francisco Estuary Freshwater Biology,
- 2010 Baxa DV, Kurobe T, Ger KA, Lehman PW, Teh SJ Estimating the abundance of toxic Microcystis in the San Francisco Estuary using quantitative real-time PCR. Harmful Algae,
- 2009 Sakai M, Baxa DV, Kurobe T, Kono T, Shivappa RB, Hedrick RP Detection of Nucleospora salmonis in cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykissi) by loop-mediated isothermal amplification Aquaculture,
- 2008 Baxa DV, Kelley GO, Mukkatira KS, Beauchamp KA, Rasmussen C, Hedrick RP Arrested development of the myxozoan parasite, Myxobolus cerebralis, in certain populations of mitochondrial 16S lineage III Tubifex tubifex Parasitol Res,
- 2007 Grésoviac SJ, Baxa DV, Vivarés CP, Hedrick RP Detection of the intranuclear microsporidium Nucleospora salmonis in naturally and experimentally exposed Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha by in situ hybridization Parasitol Res,
- 2004 Tops S, Baxa DV, McDowell TS, Hedrick RP, Okamura B Evaluation of malacosporean life cycles through transmission studies Dis Aquat Organ,
- 2004 Kelley GO, Zagmutt-Vergara FJ, Leutenegger CM, Adkison MA, Baxa DV, Hedrick RP Identification of a serine protease gene expressed by Myxobolus cerebralis during development in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss Dis Aquat Organ,
- 2004 Hedrick RP, Baxa DV, De Kinkelin P, Okamura B Malacosporean-like spores in urine of rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss) trout react with antibody and DNA probes to Tetracapsuloides bryosalmonae Parasitol Res,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2002 Andree KB, Antonio (Baxa) DV: Nucleic acid-based methods for detection of Myxobolus cerebralis, Cunningham CO, (ed),
Molecular Diagnosis of Salmonid Diseases, Dordrecht. 315-328.