Joanne R Paul-Murphy
Medicine & Epidemiology
| || |
Companion Avian & Exotic Pet Medicine
Diplomat, American College of Zoological Medicine
Active Research Grants
Principal Investigator, Two neuropathic pain models for analgesia evaluation in parrots, (Principal Investigator), University of California, Davis Center for Companion Animal Health.
Principal Investigator, Renal, gastrointestinal and hemostatic effects of meloxicam in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots (Amazona ventralis)., (Principal Investigator), Association of Avian Veterinarians
Co-Investigator, Pharmacokinetics and phamacodynamics of tramadol HCl in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots., Marcy Souza. University of Tennesee (Principal Investigator), Morris Animal Foundation
Instructor, The antinociceptive effect of intravenous tramadol in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots (Amazona ventralis) using withdrawal thresholds from a noxious thermal stimulus, (Principal Investigator), Merck Merial International Research Scholarship awarded to Saskia Geelen
Co-Investigator, Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of hydromorphone and butorphanol in American kestrels, David Guzman (Principal Investigator), Morris Animal Foundation Grant
Co-Investigator, Pet Guinea Pig Pain Medication, Michelle Hawkins (Principal Investigator), Marcia Messmer Private Donor
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2010 Geelen S, Sanchez-Migallon Guzman D, Souza MJ, Cox S, Paul-Murphy J The antinoceiceptive effect of intravenous tramadol in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots (Amazona ventralis) using withdrawal from a noxious thermal stimulus Merck-Merial NIH National Veterinary Scholars Symposium,
- 2010 Paul-Murphy J Finding Avian Health Information Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine,
- 2010 Gilman RT, Mathews NE, Skinner BG, Frank E, Paul-Murphy J Effects of Maternal Status on the Movement and Mortality of Sterilized White-tailed Deer J Wildlife Management,
- 2010 Dennison SE, Paul-Murphy JR, Yandell BS, Adams WM Effect of anesthesia, positioning, time, and feeding on the proventriculus: keel ratio of clinically healthy parrots Vet Radiol Ultrasound,
- 2010 Hanley CS, Clyde VL, Wallace RS, Paul-Murphy J, Patterson TA, Keuler NS, Sladky KK Effects of anesthesia and surgery on serial blood gas values and lactate concentrations in yellow perch (Perca flavescens), walleye pike (Sander vitreus), and koi (Cyprinus carpio) J Am Vet Med Assoc,
- 2009 Kaufman GE, Epstein JH, Paul-Murphy J, Modrall JD Designing Graduate Training Programs in Conservation Medicine - Producing the Right Professionals with the Right Tools Ecohealth,
- 2009 Dennison SE, Adams WM, Johnson PJ, Yandell BS, Paul-Murphy JR Prognostic accuracy of the proventriculus: keel ratio for short-term survival in psittacines with proventricular disease Vet Radiol Ultrasound,
- 2009 Burns RP, Paul-Murphy J Determination of lead and zinc concentrations in the blood and liver of the captive common green iguana (Iguana iguana) J Zoo Wildl Med,
- 2009 Cole GA, Paul-Murphy J, Krugner-Higby L, Klauer JM, Medlin SE, Keuler NS, Sladky KK Analgesic effects of intramuscular administration of meloxicam in Hispaniolan parrots (Amazona ventralis) with experimentally induced arthritis Am J Vet Res,
- 2009 Paul-Murphy JR, Krugner-Higby LA, Tourdot RL, Sladky KK, Klauer JM, Keuler NS, Brown CS, Heath TD Evaluation of liposome-encapsulated butorphanol tartrate for alleviation of experimentally induced arthritic pain in green-cheeked conures (Pyrrhura molinae) Am J Vet Res,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2011 Klaphapke E, Paul-Murphy J: Disorders of the Reproductive and Urinary Systems of the Rabbit, Quesenberry K, (ed),
Ferrets, Rabbits, and Pet Rodents. Clinical Medicine and Surgery. .
2010 Hawkins MG, Paul-Murphy J: Avian analgesia, ,
Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 61-80.
2008 Paul-Murphy J: Avian Analgesia, JS Gaynor, WW Muir III, (ed),
Handbook of Veterinary Pain Management Second Edition. .
2007 Paul-Murphy J: Critical care of the rabbit, ,
Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 437-61.
2006 Paul-Murphy J: Pain Management, Harrison, Lightfoot, Edling, (ed),
Clinical Avian Medicine Vol I. 233-239.
Companion Zoological Animal Research Lab