Christopher J Murphy- BS, DVM, PhD
Surgical & Radiological Sciences
| || |
1978 B.S. , NYS College of Agriculture, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
1983 D.V.M , NYS College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
1984 Ph.D. Anatomy, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
1987 Residency Comparative Ophthalmology, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, Ca
1989 Corneal Fellow Ophthalmology, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, Ca 95616
Honors and Awards
1979 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant award for section of physiology, Cornell University
1979-1980 EFN Scholarship, New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
1981-1982 Bertha Hamilton Scholarship, New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
1982-1983 Arthur G. Hall Scholarship, New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
1983 Senior Honor Day Awards New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
NYS Veterinary Medical Society Prize for best senior seminar
Grant Sherman Hopkins Prize in Anatomy
Wild Bird Research and Rehabilitation Award
1986 Outstanding Presentation, House Officer
Seminar day, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital,
University of California, Davis
1986 National Eye Institute ARVO travel fellowship
1992 Distinguished Lecturer, IV Annual Research Symposium. Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
1999 11th Oscar Schalm Lectureship. An endowed lectureship recognizing contributions to comparative ophthalmology. Irvine, CA.
1999 Cello Lectureship. An endowed lectureship recognizing contributions to the practice of veterinary ophthalmology. Davis, CA.
2001 Hills distinguished Lecturer. Cornell University. Presented a series of 3 lectures based on research and clinical accomplishments.
2003 Career Achievement Award in Research, American Veterinary Medical Foundation and the AKC.
2004 Horus Award for best presentation. Annual meeting of the Midwest Veterinary Ophthalmology Society.
2006 Pfizer Animal Health Research Excellence Award. School of Veterinary Medicine, UW-Madison.
2007 Commencement speaker of the Class of 2007, School of Veterinary Medicine, UW-Madison.
2007 H. Talmage Dobbs Lectureship. Emory Eye Center 2007.
2008 One of eight winning seed grant projects on Engineering of the Wound Bed awarded by the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery (WID).
2009 Award recognition for contribution to resident education, School of Veterinary Medicine, Founder of largest phacoemulsification training course in US
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmology
Active Research Grants
Collaborator, Towards a Synthetic Basement Membrane for the Corneal Epithelium, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NEI
Principal Investigator, Beyond Biomaterials: Engineering the Wound Bed, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NIAMS
Principal Investigator, Topographic Modulation of Signal Transduction Pathways, ARRA Administrative Supplement, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NEI
Principal Investigator, Effects of Substratum Topography on Vascular Endothelium, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NHLB
Principal Investigator, Topographic Modulation of Signal Transduction Pathways, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NEI
Principal Investigator, EFRI-BioSA: Biology Inspired Intelligent Micro Optical Imaging Systems, (Principal Investigator), NSF
Co-Investigator, Role of Biophysical Cues in the Pathogenesis of Glaucoma, Russell P (Principal Investigator), NIH - NEI
Principal Investigator, Biophysical Cues and Corneal Wound Healing, (Principal Investigator), NIH
Principal Investigator, IRG Study Group, (Principal Investigator), NSF-MRSEC
Principal Investigator, Grant, (Principal Investigator), NIH-NHLB
Co-Principal Investigator, Role of Biophysical Cues in the Pathogenesis of Glaucoma, Paul Russell, PhD (Principal Investigator), NIH--NEI
Co-Investigator, Head-down tilt as a model for intracranial and intraocular pressures, and retinal changes during spaceflight, Charles Fuller (Principal Investigator), NASA
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2012 Agarwal A, Nelson TB, Kierski PR, Schurr MJ, Murphy CJ, Czuprynski CJ, McAnulty JF, Abbott NL Polymeric multilayers that localize the release of chlorhexidine from biologic wound dressings Biomaterials,
- 2012 McKee CT, Wood JA, Ly I, Russell P, Murphy CJ The influence of a biologically relevant substratum topography on human aortic and umbilical vein endothelial cells Biophysical J,
- 2012 Dreier B, Raghunathan V, Russell P, Murphy CJ Focal Adhesion kinase knockdown modulates the response of human corneal epithelial cells to topographic cues Acta Biomater,
- 2012 Wood JA, Ly I, Borjesson DL, Nealey PF, Russell P, Murphy CJ The modulation of canine mesenchymal stem cells by nano-topographic cues Exp Cell Res,
- 2012 Wood JA, Chung DJ, Park SA, Zwingenberger AL, Reilly CM, Ly I, Walker NJ, Vernau W, Hayashi K, Wisner ER, Cannon MS, Kass PH, Cherry SR, Borjesson DL, Russell P, Murphy CJ Periocular and intra-articular injection of canine adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells: an in vivo imaging and migration study J Ocul Pharmacol Ther,
- 2012 Morgan JT, Wood JA, Shah NM, Hughbanks ML, Russell P, Barakat AI, Murphy CJ Integration of basal topograpic cues and apical shear stress in vascular endothelial cells Biomaterials,
- 2012 Guthrie KM, Agarwal A, Tackes DS, Johnson KW, Abbott NL, Murphy CJ, Czuprynski CJ, Kierski PR, Schurr MJ, McAnulty JF Antibacterial efficacy of silver-impregnated polyelectrolyte multilayers immobilized on a biological dressing in a murine would infection model Ann Surg,
- 2012 Chattopadhyay S, Murphy CJ, McAnulty JF, Raines RT Peptides that anneal to natural collagen in vitro and ex vivo Org Biomol Chem,
- 2012 Ofri R, Hollingsworth SR, Groth A, Motta MJ, Doval JH, Kass PH, Murphy CJ Effect of optical defocus on performance of dogs involved in field trail competition Am J Vet Res,
- 2012 Mochizuki H, Murphy CJ, Brandt JD, Kiuchi Y, Russell P Altered stability of mRNAs associated with glaucoma progression in human trabecular meshwork cells following oxidative stress Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci,
Most Recent 5 Book Chapters
2012 Murphy CJ, Samuelson DA, Pollock RVH: Miller's Anatomy of the dog 4th Edition, ,
The Eye - Chapter 21. 746-785.
2012 Ver Hoeve JN, Munger RJ, Murphy CJ, Nork TM: Assessing Ocular toxicology in Laboratory Animals, ,
Emerging Electrophysiological Technologies for Assessing Ocular Toxicity in Laboratory Animals. 123-157.
2012 Nork TM, Rasmussen CA, Christian BJ, Murphy CJ: Assessing Ocular Toxicology in Laboratory Animals, ,
Emerging Imaging Technologies for Assesing Toxicity in Laboratory Animals. 53-121.
2011 Miller PE, Murphy CJ: Equine Vision: Normal and Abnormal, ,
Equine Ophthalmology. 371-408.
2011 Tocce EJ, Liliensiek SJ, Wilson MJ, Yanez-Soto B, Nealey PF, Murphy CJ: Engineering the Biophysical Properties of Basement Membranes into Biomaterials: Fabrication and Effects on Cell Behavior, P. Ducheyne, KE Healey DW Hutmacher, DW Grainger, and CJ Kirkpatrick, (ed),
Comprehensive Biomaterials. .