2005 PhD Physiology & Neuroscience, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
1988 B.S. Biology & History of Arts, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2013 Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Washington University, School of Medicine, Saint Lous, MO
Honors and Awards
2011-2013 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
2010 6th Annual Postdoctoral Scientific Symposium Award, Washington University, School of Medicine
2010 Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology-Maximizing Access to Research.
2010 The American Association of Immunologists 97th Annual Meeting Travel Award, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology-Maximizing Access to Research Careers (FASEB-MARC).
2009 Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
2006 Leadership and Scientific Excellence Award, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus.
2006 Ramon Emeterio Betances Award, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus.
2005 Central Nervous System Abstract Award, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology-Maximizing Access to Research Careers Travel Award, International Union of Physiological Science and Experimental Biology Meeting.
2003 Robert Laurus Award and Travel Award, The American Association for the Advancement of Science Caribbean Division.
1986-1988 MARC Undergraduate Honor Program, FASEB-MARC, University of Puerto Rico, Rico Rio Piedras Campus.
Most Recent 10 Publications
- 2014 Daniels BP, Holman DW, Cruz-Orengo L, Jujjavarapu H, Durrant DM, Klein RS Viral pathogen-associated molecular patterns regulate blood-brain barrier integrity via completing innate cytokine signals mBio,
- 2014 Cruz-Orengo L, Daniels BP, Dorsey D, Basak SA, Grajales-Reyes JG, McCandless EE, Piccio L, Schmidt RE, Cross AH, Crosby SD, Klein RS Enhanced sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 2 expression underlies female CNS autoimmunity susceptibility. The Journal of Clinical Investigation,
- 2013 Daniels BP, Cruz-Orengo L, Pasieka TJ, Couraud PO, Romero IA, Weksler B, Cooper JA, Doering TL, Klein RS Immortalized human cerebral microvascular endothelial cells maintain the properties of primary cells in an in vitro model of immune migration across the blood brain barrier. Journal of Neuroscience Methods,
- 2011 Cruz-Orengo L, Chen YJ, Kim JH, Dorsey D, Song SK, Klein RS CXCR7 antagonism prevents axonal injury during experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis as revealed by in vivo axial diffusivity. Journal of Neuroinflammation,
- 2011 Cruz-Orengo L, Holman DW, Dorsey D, Zhou L, Zhang P, Wright M, McCandless EE, Patel JR, Luker GD, Littman DR, Russell JH, Klein RS CXCR7 influences leukocyte entry into the CNS parenchyma by controlling abluminal CXCL12 abundance during autoimmunity. The Journal of Experimental Medicine,
- 2008 Cruz-Orengo L, Dhaka A, Heuermann RJ, Young TJ, Montana MC, Cavanaugh EJ, Kim D, Story GM Cutaneous nociception evoked by 15-delta PGJ2 via activation of ion channel TRPA1. Molecular Pain,
- 2007 Cruz-Orengo L, Figueroa JD, Torrado A, Puig A, Whittemore SR, Miranda JD Reduction of EphA4 receptor expression after spinal cord injury does not induce axonal regeneration or return of tcMMEP response. Neuroscience Letters,
- 2006 Cruz-Orengo L, Figueroa JD, Velázquez I, Torrado A, Ortíz C, Hernández C, Puig A, Segarra AC, Whittemore SR, Miranda JD Blocking EphA4 upregulation after spinal cord injury results in enhanced chronic pain. Experimental Neurology,
- 2005 Irizarry-Ramírez M, Willson CA, Cruz-Orengo L, Figueroa J, Velázquez I, Jones H, Foster RD, Whittemore SR, Miranda JD Upregulation of EphA3 receptor after spinal cord injury. Journal of Neurotrauma,
- 2002 Willson CA, Irizarry-Ramírez M, Gaskins HE, Cruz-Orengo L, Figueroa, JD, Whittemore SR, Miranda JD Upregulation of EphA receptor expression in the injured adult rat spinal cord. Cell Transplantation,