The University offers fellowships specifically designed to promote campus diversity and the group strongly supports this effort. We encourage underrepresented minorities to apply to the group and to apply for financial aid and affiliated preparation programs, such as the McNair Scholars Programs and the UC LEADS scholar program.
Application deadline - JANUARY 15, 2014
Applications cannot be reviewed until all components are received. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their applications and all documents are received by the program on time.
APPLICATION OVERVIEW AND INSTRUCTIONS
1. Academic Requirements for the Program
a. All applicants to the MPVM program must hold a professional medical degree, preferably a DVM degree or equivalent, or a Medical Doctor (MD), Registered Nurse (RN) or any allied health professional degree.
b. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent for foreign students) in their medical program for consideration of admission to the MPVM program.
c. GRE scores are not required for admission to the MPVM Program.
2. Complete the online application through the Office of Graduate Studies and pay the required fee.
Please click on “Create an Account” to start the online application. When asked to “Choose a Program” the program will be listed alphabetically as “Preventive Veterinary Medicine".
3. Letters of Recommendation
Three academic or professional recommendations (in English) are required. Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the online admissions application system only. No paper copies or letter service letters are accepted.
Official transcripts and their English certified version from all prior educational institutions must be received no later than January 15, 2014.
Transcripts should be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are applying. Please forward transcripts to Ms. Tami Ali, staff coordinator for the Graduate Group in Preventive Veterinary Medicine, C/O Veterinary Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616.
International transcripts must be evaluated to a 4.0 scale in English. Either translation service listed below is acceptable by UC Davis for such translation.
World Education Services, Inc.,
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745
Phone: (212) 966-6311
FAX: (212) 966-6395
Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
One Dupont Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20036-1135
Phone: 202-296-3 3 59
The UCD Office of Graduate Studies requires the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if your native language is not English. Scores that are two years old or more will not be accepted. The minimum score required for admission to this program is 85 as follows:
1. Applicants with TOEFL score of 85-90 (or IELTS equivalent) are required to take and pass the University of California Davis English as a Second Language (ESL) courses for graduate students (Linguistics 25 and Linguistics 26) prior to enrollment in PVM coursework. This will delay enrollment in PVM coursework by 1 year, and will lengthen the program of study by 1 year. There will be no further requirement to take the Graduate ESL Placement Exam.
2. Applicants with TOEFL score >90 (or IELTS equivalent) are required to take the Graduate ESL Placement Exam in September following arrival. Students who do not pass the Graduate ESL placement exam are required to take and pass ESL courses for graduate students (Linguistics 25 and Linguistics 26) prior to enrollment in PVM coursework. This will delay enrollment in PVM coursework by 1 year, and will lengthen the program of study by 1 year.
IELTS Scores. As an alternative, you may submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) designed by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate and administered by the British Council worldwide. You are responsible for providing us with an official Test Report Form (TRF) of your IELTS.
Remember to order the TRF when you register to take the test. Only tests taken within the last 2 years are admissable. Your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale.
To register for the IELTS, consult the IELTS website or contact the IELTS Subject Officer, University of Cambridge, Local Examinations Syndicate, 1 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB1 2EU, United Kingdom.
ALL APPLICANTS are strongly encouraged to communicate with the Chair and Master Adviser prior to admission to the program, in order to introduce themselves and to facilitate connections with appropriate faculty and Peer Advisers. This process of communicating should begin in the Fall, prior to the relevant applications deadline. Applicants should take the initiative to identify their research interests, identify datasets to which they have access that might be suitable for MPVM Projects, and exchange research ideas with potential Research Project Advisers. While formal assignment of a Research Project Adviser cannot occur prior to admission, contacts should be far-enough developed such that at least tentative identification of a research adviser can be made as soon after the time of admission as possible.