Program Costs & Financial Support

Estimated in-state and out-of-state fees for 2014-15 are listed here.  Scroll down to Preventive Veterinary Medicine for the MPVM fees.

Note: Enrolled MPVM students must pay for health insurance.  Students must either purchase UC health insurance, which was $998 for summer session, and $1,444/quarter for grad students in 2014-15, or apply for an insurance waiver by demonstrating comparable health insurance coverage.

Fellowships and Grants: A fellowship or grant does not have to be repaid. The School of Veterinary Medicine offers the following fellowships and grants:

  • Fellowships up to $15,000 are awarded on a competitive basis to eligible international students enrolling in the program. The Admissions/Student Affairs Committee selects the recipients, and there is no separate application for these fellowships.
  • Fellowships up to $10,000 are awarded annually to UC Davis DVM/MPVM dual degree students. Students are invited to apply, and decisions are made by the Admissions/Student Affairs Committee.
  • GSSP (Graduate Student Support Program) offers scholarships to graduate students (MPVM, MPH, MS, PhD) on a competitive basis. All current students and applicants to the MPVM Program are eligible to apply for the GSSP. Click here to download application.
  • Fellowships for research project expenses are awarded in Winter Quarter. Students are invited to apply, and decisions are made by the Admissions/Student Affairs Committee.
  • Fee grants are awarded to students enrolled in the MPVM Program. The fee grant maximum amount is approximately $1,900 per student and may vary year to year.

Fellowship recipients must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the MPVM curriculum or financial support will be discontinued.

Student Loans: Loans are awarded to eligible domestic and permanent-resident students to fund direct educational and living costs. To apply for Federal Direct Loans, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line. The UC Davis federal school code is 001313. Please visit to complete your FAFSA.

Total annual loan amount may not exceed the a student’s cost of attendance.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan: A fixed interest Rate of 6.8%. No interest accrues during enrollment, grace period and deferments. Repayment begins six months after graduation or withdrawal from school with several repayment plan options. Visit for repayment plan descriptions. $8,500 annual maximum borrowing limit.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: A fixed interest rate of 6.8%. The fixed interest rate starts accruing immediately upon disbursement; principal and interest payments start six months after graduation or withdrawal from school. Each year students may receive a maximum of $12,000. The exact amount is determined by overall need.

Graduate Plus Loan: May be available to students enrolled in a graduate or professional program. Grad Plus borrowers may borrow up to the cost of attendance for the period of enrollment, minus other estimated financial assistance received for the period of enrollment. Available at a fixed rate of 7.9% with no annual or aggregate loan limits. A modified credit check is required; applicants who are not credit-worthy may utilize an endorser who does meet the credit requirements. A 4% origination fee is deducted from the loan disbursements.

Alternative Loan: Unsecured, credit-based loan that may require a co-signer. For more information, visit the Alternative Loans web page.Visit the Graduate Financial Aid Office web site for further details on these loans.Direct specific questions about financial aid eligibility or awards to Graduate Financial Aid Services, 1100 Dutton Hall, phone (530) 752-9246 or e-mail students are not eligible for student loans (possible exception may be an alternative loan with co-signer).


* International students:  Under Internal Revenue Service Code 1441, scholarship or fellowship payment may be subject to nonresident alien withholding tax. 

Under the Internal Revenue Service Code Section 1441, the University as a withholding agent is required to withhold and report any payment made from U.S. source to a foreign person.  Any portion of a scholarship or fellowship payment to a nonresident alien which does not constitute a qualified scholarship must be reported to the Internal Revenue Service on Form 1042-S and is subject to nonresident alien withholding tax.  {The amount of withholding tax may vary depending on student visa type.}

The United States has income tax treaties with a number of foreign countries under which residents of those countries are taxed at a reduced rate or are exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain payments received from within the United States. If the income tax treaty with a certain foreign country contains the provision of scholarship article, the nonresident alien student from that foreign country may be able to reduce or eliminate his or her U.S. tax obligation.  To be able to receive the benefit of the treaty, the nonresident alien student must complete IRS Form W-8BEN and submit it to Student Accounting by the indicated deadline. For further U.S. nonresident tax information, refer to the Student Accounting Office web site.