PREDICT has been conducting global surveillance to detect and prevent spillover of pathogens of pandemic potential that can move between wildlife and people. These are some stories from the field.
Early Detection of Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo - In August of 2014, PREDICT assisted in the early detection of an Ebolavirus outbreak in the DRC. With many of the country’s resources out of the country to assist in the massive West African outbreak, the PREDICT team stepped in.
Wildlife Vet in Rwanda Wins Rolex Award - Of the 1,800 nominees for the Rolex Award for Enterprise in 2014, only five were selected as young laureates. One of those five was PREDICT Rwanda field veterinarian Dr. Olivier Nsengimana.
Yellow Fever Discovered in Bolivian Howler Monkeys - Our team helped identify and respond to a Yellow Fever outbreak after five howler monkey carcasses were found near a wildlife sanctuary in eastern Bolivia.
New Coronavirus Found in Bat Guano Mining Site in Thailand - Bat guano is sold in Thailand as a fertilizer for agricultural crops like rice and orchard fruit.
Building Awareness of One Health in Mexico - PREDICT's efforts have made One Health an important part of the national conversation in Mexico.
Laos Gains Lab Capacity to Respond to Deadly Disease Outbreaks - A gradual and sustained capacity building program has been undertaken with staff from the government animal laboratory and the National Animal Health Laboratory.
News & Impact
Evotis is a publication of the UC Davis One Health Institute. Volume 3 explores diseases of pandemic potential, and how they are passed between humans and wildlife. View Volume 3.
- How Vietnam Mastered Infectious Disease Control
- UC Davis Sets New Record for Sponsored Research Funding
- Audio: One Health In Action
- Influenza A More Likely to Emerge in East Asia Than N. America
- Pandemic Busters: On the Trail of the Next Ebola
- Audio: Preventing the Next Ebola Means Catching it Before it Breaks Out
- SacBee: OHI Gets $100 Million to Predict Pandemics
- One Health Institute awarded $100M to lead project to predict pandemics
- One Health Institute's PREDICT program on forefront of preventing global pandemics