STAR Conditions & Expectations
Application Receipt Date: FEBRUARY 3, 2014
Summer fellowships in the STAR Program are $5,508. The entire award will be allocated directly to the recipients as a living stipend only. External fellowships and disbursements are subject to policies governing the funding agency.
Submission of a STAR Program application indicates that a successful applicant agrees to all of the following “Conditions of Award:”
- Students are expected to commit full time effort to their project for the entire period of award. Other activities the student may engage in cannot conflict or otherwise interfere with the ability of the student to participate full time in their research project.
- Students are expected to conduct research full time for a 10 week period within these dates: June 2, 2014 - August 8, 2014. Any vacation or sick leave must be agreed upon with your mentor.
- Mandatory attendance at and participation in the 2014 Laboratory Practices Orientation, tentatively scheduled for June 2 & 3rd. Exemptions will be allowed only if the student has previously participated in the STAR program and has previously participated in the Laboratory Practices Orientation.
- If a student receives STAR award funding and also funding for another project to be conducted during the summer, the student can either accept the STAR award and turn down the other funded award, or vice versa...the student cannot accept STAR award funding if they already have received funding for the same project during the summer, or for a different project during the same summer.
- Students that accept funding and commit to the STAR program are expected to fully complete their obligations. At the discretion of the STAR director, if a student is unable to complete all of the STAR requirements, due to student illness or unforeseen family emergencies, all STAR funding received, must be returned to the STAR program.
- ALL students are required to complete a poster and present it at the end of summer STARS in Science poster presentation event.
- Students must be aware that individual funding sources that support the STAR Program come with their own criteria for presentation of research findings (e.g., oral presentation, attendance at a Merial conference meeting, etc.).
- Submit a one page written summary of the funded research project to the STAR Program no later than August 25, 2014. This summary should be sent as an e-mail attachment in Word format to email@example.com.
- Acknowledge STAR Program funding support in any publications resulting from the research project.
- STAR awards for dual degree (VSTP) Students are $2,754. Mentors of these students are requested to match 1:1 an award from the STAR Program ($2754) in order to make a total award of $5508.