How to Apply to the YEAR Program
Application Receipt Date: February 8th, 2016
YEAR Application (doc)
- First, second, and third year veterinary students from any AVMA-accredited North American veterinary school are encouraged to apply.
- Students in good-standing, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 1.0-4.0 scale).
- Applicant willing to agree to all conditions of award if a YEAR award is made.
- Begin preparing now! Your YEAR application will be due February 8th, 2016.
- Download the application form to your desktop and complete using a standard wordprocessing program (i.e., Word). The application includes a number of supporting documents that must be fully completed and/or submitted with the application form. The supporting documents include:
1. A brief essay of why you are applying to the YEAR Program; describe your professional scientific interests, commitment to a career in academic veterinary medicine, and any other relevant information you would like the review committee to know.
2. An “unofficial” (e.g., photocopy) set of your veterinary school transcripts
3. A “personal data” form
4. List of three faculty references that are familiar with your education and training, and whom you permit us to contact about you.
After completing the application form and all supporting documents, assemble all materials as a complete set of attachments in one e-mail and send to: email@example.com by the due date (TBA). Please try to avoid sending multiple emails.
- A select committee of faculty from the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, will review all applications. After discussion, applicants will be ranked according to eligibility, merit, and potential or demonstrated interest in biomedical research as a career path.
- If the review committee feels it appropriate, the top ranked applicants will be invited for a one day visit to UC Davis to meet with members of the review committee and potential faculty mentors.
- After review of applications and faculty summaries of candidate interviews (if conducted), the final ranking of applicants will be made
- Students will be notified by email and receive a formal letter offering a YEAR program position.
- Students offered YEAR program positions will be asked to either accept or decline the Award; if accepting, they will be asked to acknowledge and confirm agreement with the YEAR program conditions of the award.
For further information, contact the YEAR program at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (530) 752-6612.