4.2. Broaden the diversity of the veterinary medicine community at UC Davis and beyond
The veterinary profession provides broad and diverse career opportunities for individuals from all walks of life. It is our goal to broaden the diversity of our faculty, staff and student community to represent the demographics of our society. We will work to communicate the value and relevance of veterinary medicine to underrepresented minority (URM) communities to increase URM student and staff interest levels in the profession. We will continue our outreach and student enrichment efforts at the high school and undergraduate levels to encourage more students to apply to veterinary medicine.
a. Create a diversity advisory group, including alumni and other veterinary professionals, to facilitate outreach in minority communities.
b. Clarify the relevance of veterinary medicine to underrepresented minority (URM) communities.
c. Provide mentorship and support for incoming URM students.
d. Partner with community practice groups to increase exposure of URM communities to veterinary medical practice.
- Work with existing K-12 programs to expose students to the field of veterinary medicine.
- Leverage the creation of a pre-veterinary program at UC Davis.
- Tap into URM undergraduates interested in health, the environment, and agriculture.
- Broaden admissions requirements to improve recruitment of URM candidates.
- Tap into veterinary technician training programs to enhance diversity in applicant pools.
- Diversity in Veterinary Medicine - We were fortunate to host Lisa Greenhill, Associate Executive Director for Institutional Research and Diversity at the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges for several meetings and an open noontime seminar. Ms. Greenhill leads the DVM: DiVersity Matters initiative, which promotes increased representation of underrepresented persons in academic veterinary medicine, inclusive academic environments and the inclusion of diversity related professional competencies in the DVM curriculum.
- Diversity and Inclusion
The newly expanded Diversity and Inclusion web site features a broad range of faculty, staff and student initiatives to further engage our community and support an inclusive learning environment. Incoming DVM students are engaged in the first week of school to embrace diversity and inclusion and Our Principles of Community.
- Increasing Diversity – To Reflect California’s Population (Download pdf)
- Diversity Initiatives - January 2015 Update (Download pdf)
- MPVM Graduate Christopher Kilonzo on the forefront of safeguarding public health