5.2 Strengthen internal communication, transparency and collaboration
In recognition of the large and complex organizational structure of the School it is critical that faculty, staff and students are kept apprised of news, activities, program advancements, research discoveries, budget updates and other information. An assessment of current communication channels and development of new methods or mediums for communicating will be pursued with the goal of providing information in easily accessible formats on a regular and timely basis.
a. Develop an annual State of the School address.
b. Increase collaboration and engagement between basic and clinical faculty.
c. Better communicate the SVM organizational structure internally and externally. (See Strategy 5.4)
d. Share innovative entrepreneurial ideas across the SVM.
e. Communicate regularly with all faculty, staff and students using a variety of communication modalities.
f., Disseminate information about strategic planning.
g. Publish a faculty recruitment plan linked to the strategic plan. (See Strategy 6.1)
- The School's "Vet Med Communicators" group met in February to discuss electronic communications, the campus One Campaign and "One Health, One Vision, One UC Davis" branding campaign
- VMTH View -e- newsletter for faculty, staff and students
- SVM Activities & Impacts – The School’s Communication Team puts out an e-newsletter to faculty, staff and students goes out each Tuesday with current news and upcoming events to promote communications across the School.
- Strategic Planning Retreat - 2013 Download pdf
- Facility Update Download pdf
- VMTH View - February Download pdf
- Curriculum Update - January Download pdf (secure)
- Curriculum Update - December Download pdf (secure)
- Curriculum Update - November Download pdf (secure)
- Progress Report – June 2013 – Internal Communications Download pdf
- State of the School Address, Dean Lairmore - June 12, 2013 Download pdf
- SVM Media Report – January-March 2013 Download pdf
- SVM Media Report July-September 2012 Download pdf
- Media Report October to December 2012 Download pdf
- Quarterly Report – October 2012 – Internal Communications (5.2.) Download pdf
- Staff Coffee Session (5.2).
At last week's (10/24/12) quarterly staff coffee session the Dean and 25+ staff discussed a wide range of topics including:
- Vet Med 3B - the opening is tentatively scheduled for March 15, 2013. The event will promote our missionof "Discovery".
- Fall Dean's Roundtable Dinner – is scheduled Nov. 8th, this is a quarterly event to promote communications between stand administrative leaders.
- The School is supporting the student's initiative to organize a "Career Night" in February to foster professional relationships between future veterinarians, veterinary related companies and veterinary practice representatives.
- The Dean's Office move -- is no longer focused on a remodel of the HSL library due to cost implications. For ½ the amount a new building is being discussed, possibly in conjunction with the Arboretum, as the "gateway" into the health sciences district. This would delay the move approximately 3-years.
- New teaching hospital – facility planning is moving along. Several meetings are set up in the next few weeks to finalize the space needs.
- Prop 30 -- on the November voter ballot is key to stable UC funding and tuition costs. If it doesn't pass, the University will likely consider tuition increases. If no tuition increases, the School's share of the worst case scenario would be a $3.5 million dollar budget cut.
- Tuition - Last year we were able to hold the professional degree and course materials fees for our veterinary students at 2011-12 rates. Depending upon the outcome of Prop 30, we will likely petition for a 2.5 % increase in professional degrees fees for next year.
- Scholarships – To help off-set the impact of student fees our Development Team continues to raise new funds for student scholarships. We have the largest veterinary scholarship endowment program valued at $48 million.
- Alumni Weekend - went very well. We particularly honored representatives from the School's first class, Class of 52, and from the Class of 62, who celebrated 50 years.
The next staff coffee session with the Dean is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 23rd, 9-10 am in the Valley Hall Commons area.
- State of the School Address, Dean Lairmore - May 30, 2012 Download pdf
Watch Video (requires Flash)
- SVM Media Report April - June 2012 Download (pdf)
- SVM Strategic Communication and Targeted Marketing Plan Download (pdf)
- New SVM Communications Officer hired - Trina Wood Download pdf
- New VMTH Communications Officer - Rob Warren Download pdf
- Dean’s Reports and Updates (June 12, 2012)
We have created a new page on our VIPER web site under the ADMIN Tab entitled Dean’s Reports and Updates to further promote our internal communications. We will be posting reports, updates, and communications from the leadership team to keep you informed. New additions include: Dean Lairmore's "State of the School" address and the VMDO Team’s Monthly Reports https://secure.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/admin/default.cfm?page=deans_reports_updates
- Internal Communications (July 2012)
The leadership team for the internal communications strategic initiative meet to kick discuss their project. Initial discussions focused on current internal communication mechanisms and web site resources. Items identified for future action included: mechanisms to communicate faculty research interests to promote collaborations; updating of faculty web pages with publication and research interest information; student recruitment advertising; faculty awards and departmental demonstrations of current web based communication information/resources. The team decided to work on a survey to send out to faculty and staff to identify preferred communication channels and information priorities.
- SVM Communications Council Download PDF