2.1. Provide supportive infrastructure and efficient services to facilitate research
Collaborative research requires funding, space, equipment, multi-disciplinary expertise, technical support, and many other resources. We are committed to supporting our research teams and their mission of advancing one health by promoting shared resources of space and equipment, establishing best practices for laboratory operations and protocols, centralizing grants administration and facilitating collaborations across the school, campus, UC system and with outside agencies and private industry.
a. Define shared resources and appropriate policies to fund and administer them.
- Prioritize support for shared resources that maximize the missions of the School.
- Develop a centralized list of shared resources and post on school website.
- Link to ongoing campus efforts in this area.
b. Create electronic tools for centralized grants administration.
c. Develop standard protocols for facilitating collaborations with outside agencies, including corporate entities.(See Strategy 7.1)
d. Ensure that discoveries are appropriately converted to intellectual property.
- Strengthen linkages with the UC Davis Office of Innovation Access.
- Develop staff expertise in SVM to facilitate innovation access.
- Research Investments Will Pay Future Dividends - Download pdf
- Shared Resources for Research - The Health Sciences District Advanced Imaging Facility launched its opening ceremonies March 16th as part of a week-long event to introduce the facility and equipment resources to the campus scientific community. This STED Confocal core facility was the result of a collaborative effort with the School of Medicine, College of Biological Sciences and other campus partners. The event, held at the GBSF Auditorium, included guest speakers, live demonstrations and hands-on workshops. This equipment provides another major resource in support of our robust research enterprise. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- VM3B Storeroom (VM Central Services West)
In support of our faculty and staff research teams , VM Central Services is working on a new satellite location in VM3B which will feature 24/7 access. The VM3B Storeroom will utilize temperature controlled vending machines for sensitive reagents and regular cabinet type vending machines for high usage lab consumables. Customers will register their grant recharge information in advance which can then be entered on the pre-automated touch screens on each machine. Using Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), the machines will “inventory” after each customer, generating the automated bill based upon what items were removed from the machine. The VMCS team is working with manufacturers (Roche, Bio Rad, Promega and VWR) on the products that will be offered through this unique store. The VM3B Storeroom will be located on the north side of the first floor with an outside door access, and is scheduled to be fully operational by June 1st.
- Quarterly Report – October 2012 – Transdisciplinary Research (2.1.) Download pdf
- Streamlined Research Proposal Submission (July 2012) (Download PDF)