School of Veterinary Medicine Mentors Applicants in Summer Enrichment Program
Six participants have completed the Office of Student Programs Summer Enrichment Program July 12-August 13, 2004 at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. This outreach program combines academic workshops and hands-on experience in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital to help future applicants overcome barriers to higher education and prepare for the highly competitive process of applying to veterinary school.
"The 5-week course involves daily study sessions, career presentations, and volunteer hours in the teaching hospital," explains Yasmin Williams, admissions director. "Students see a variety of animals in clinics and observe first-hand the duties of a veterinarian, which they must be familiar with before they enter veterinary school. They learn basic concepts of diagnosis and present case material encountered in the teaching hospital—just as they would in veterinary school."
During their stay in Davis, students also practiced mock admissions interviews and reviewed for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
The students are:
- Helen Chiu, a graduate of the National Taiwan University and resident of Walnut, CA
- Georgette Edelmann, a graduate of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and resident of Vista, CA
- Mashawn Orth, a PhD student at UC Davis and resident of Davis, CA
- Evelyn Sagastume, a UC Davis graduate and resident of South Gate, CA
- Miranda Santiago, a graduate of Scripps College and resident of Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
- Hayley Schafer, a student at UC Davis and resident of Lakeside, CA
Christina Woosley, Class of 2006, coordinated the students' activities and provided teaching assistance.
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu, serves California through teaching, research and service programs that benefit animal, human and environmental health. Since the program began in 1987, about half of Summer Enrichment Program participants have enrolled in the four-year Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree program.