Hospital Volunteer Program
Volunteers at the UC Davis veterinary hospital fulfill many important roles. As one of the largest and busiest veterinary hospitals in the world, our faculty, staff and students appreciate the support volunteers can provide, so they can give our clients and patients their full attention.
Volunteers often help by greeting clients and their animal companions and by acting as a concierge, so the client gets to the right place on time. This helps our hospital to run smoothly by keeping appointments on time for us to best serve our clients.
Volunteers also assist staff by running errands within the hospital, assisting with client services tasks, and helping make our patients and their families more comfortable.
Areas to Volunteer*
- Client services such as greeting clients, medical records filing, and providing a hospitable environment for our patients’ families
- Concierge services such as helping clients with suggestions and directions to local establishments
- Escort clients from parking to reception, and around the facility
- Cage cleaner
- Run errands within the hospital
- Special events such as Picnic Day, Yappy Hour Puppy Socialization, and “An Evening with Vet Med” lectures
Benefits of Volunteering
- Provide service to your community
- Help improve the lives of animals and their families
- Meet new people
- Contribute your skills and experiences
- Learn new skills
- Have fun!
How to Volunteer
Once you’re accepted into the volunteer program:
- Complete a background check
- Complete an orientation course
- Sign up for shifts
- Start having fun!
*Volunteers should have no expectation of compensation or that volunteering will lead to employment. Additionally, volunteer positions are not patient care roles, nor will volunteers “job shadow” clinicians, technicians or students.
- Volunteering is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
- Volunteer positions may require working with or around areas with sick animals, hazardous materials, and/or infectious diseases, and distraught clients.
- Volunteer hours vary, including after-hours and weekend opportunities