Welcome to the Ophthalmology Service at the UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. We provide advanced diagnostics, as well as routine, complex and emergency medical and surgical care to all patients with a variety of ocular disorders. Keratoconjunctivitis sicca ("dry eye"), cataracts, glaucoma, ocular neoplasia (cancer), eye injuries and infections are among the more common conditions we are presented with. We also provide CERF examinations to breeders who wish to monitor the incidence of eye disease in their breed. Specialized tests and diagnostics include slit lamp biomicroscopy, gonioscopy, tonometry (measurement of intraocular pressure), electroretinogram or ERG (a specialized test of retinal function), high-frequency ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
The Ophthalmology Service offers a wide range of surgical and microsurgical procedures.
- Cataract surgery
- Excision and cryotherapy or radiation therapy for tumors of the eye and eyelids
- Blepharoplastic procedures, which involve the correction of eyelid abnormalities
- Surgical repair of prolapsed gland of the 3rd eyelid “Cherry Eye”
- Conjunctival grafting procedures for deep corneal ulcers
- Corneal transplants
- Cyclosporine Implants (horses only)
Our service of faculty, residents, and technicians provide a team approach to each patients care. The Ophthalmology Service provides 24 hour, 7 days a week emergency coverage for small and large animal patients.