Pre DVM Program Opportunities
2016 Summer Enrichment Students
Summer Enrichment Program
The Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) began over 25 years ago and has welcomed college students around the world. It is designed to provide disadvantaged students with activities that will enhance their preparation to veterinary school. This is a five-week intensive summer program designed for college level students. For 2017, the program will begin June 22, 2017 (with orientation) and end July 28, 2017.
The program will accommodate 10 students each summer.
Students will have the opportunity to obtain some veterinary experience through rotations at the UC Davis Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital. Some of the rotations previously featured in SEP rotations include Community Medicine, Small Animal Surgery, Equine Medicine, Equine Surgery, CAPE (Exotics), Behavior, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, and more! The SEP students shadow the faculty and veterinary students from about 8:00 am-12:00 pm every Mon-Fri.
Students are also provided resource materials for preparation of the GRE along with lectures/study sessions by a veterinary student on GRE materials. In addition to GRE practice, SEP provides personal statement reviews, resume building workshops, admissions workshop, and valuable advice from veterinary students regarding their preparation for veterinary school.
Professionals in, but not limited to, the veterinary medicine field visit the elected SEP student participants and give presentations on their specialties and career paths.
Students will be required to make presentations, participate in mock MMI situations, and come to all lectures provided. All students are expected to complete the entire five weeks (Monday through Friday) and all components of the program. The day begins with clinical rotations and ends with lectures/labs/field trips. A typical day begins at 8 am and ends no later than 5 pm (subject to change).
At the end of the program, students receive a $500 stipend. Room, board, and transportation will not be provided. We can assist in locating housing. It is highly recommended that you have a bicycle (with lock) for transportation around the campus.
Criteria for Eligibility:
- Completed a minimum of one year of biology and/or chemistry
- Must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average in all sciences and cumulative coursework
- Have some veterinary experience
- Must demonstrate a commitment to veterinary medicine through previous animal/veterinary experience.
- Submit a minimum of two letters of recommendations
- Students must participate fully in the five-week program
- Complete all application requirements
The Summer Enrichment Program is designed to:
- Give participants exposure and experience with small and large animals through daily clinical rotations in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
- Strengthen public speaking skills through weekly case presentations
- Allow practice for the GRE test and writing skills workshops
- Review veterinary school application components
- Prepare students for mock interviews (MMI generally)
- Provide speakers from various veterinary medical careers
Applications are due no later than April 10 by 5 pm. If you have further questions, please contact Yasmin Williams via email at email@example.com or 530-752-975.Click here to apply
If mailing application materials: Please submit official copy of transcript(s) from all colleges attended, and two letters of recommendation to:
SEP Program Director
University of California
School of Veterinary Medicine
Vet Med Dean's Office
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
You may also submit electronic transcripts and letters of recommendation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters of recommendation may also be faxed to 530-752-6292, Attn: Yasmin Williams