Neuropathology Submission Guidelines
Histologic examination of tissue samples from the central and peripheral nervous systems. Routine tissue processing and histology are included in the base price for biopsy and post-mortem derived samples. As needed, immunohistochemistry and special stains are also available for additional charges.
- Expert interpretation of CNS tissue
- Consulting and 2nd opinions on previously prepared glass slides
- FluoroJade-C staining
- Special stains (Bielschowsky’s, Luxol Fast Blue, Cresyl Violet, etc)
- Reports available via fax or email
Guidelines for Sample Submission
Formalin Fixed samples
- Please ensure that the sample is fully immersed in formalin (appropriate ratio for size of tissue sample to volume of formalin is 1:10).
- If various lesions from different anatomical locations are submitted, collect the sample in separate containers.
- Label container(s) with patient name, sample source, and location.
- Double ziplock-bag the containers and place a paper towel or other absorbent material in the first bag, in case of leakage.
Submission of clinical or radiographic images
- Email images or links to images to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly state the animal's name, owner's name, and clinic name in your email.
- Complete this electronic Biopsy Submission Form and when you get to the “Mandatory Special Review” section, select “Neuropath”, which will open up a “Veterinary Neuropathology specific form”. Please thoroughly complete both of these forms and send a hard copy of the “Neuro form” with the wet tissue sample in a second plastic bag.
- Add some padding and absorbent towels before placing specimen in FedEx envelope or priority mail box. Ensure package is crush-proof and will withstand typical shipping conditions.
- Shipping with FedEx: package should be mailed to the address listed below.
- Neuropathology offers a FedEx reduced Shipping Program. To utilize this program, please email email@example.com when you have a package ready to ship. Please provide us with the weight and we will create a shipping label and e-mail it to you to ship the package to us.
- US mail (USPS): please send packages by priority mail.
UC Davis VMTH
One Garrod Drive
VM3A Rm 1346
Davis, CA 95616
Turn around time
- For biopsy samples, reports should be finalized within 3 working days after sample arrival.
- Complicated cases requiring additional workup (special stains, immunohistochemistry, etc) will take longer. You can expect an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with preliminary diagnoses and comments, including an explanation for the delay, within 3 working days.
- For post-mortem tissue samples, including whole brains, results should be finalized within 14 days to allow for appropriate tissue fixation.
- For questions regarding these cases, we can be contacted by email at email@example.com
Fees & Billing
- Please contact the Anatomic Pathology office at 530-752-1368 for current fees for Neuropathology services.
- Accounts: If you already have an account with the William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, the billing will occur through your existing client account. If you are a new client, a client account will be established upon time of first sample submission.
- Billing: Accounts are invoiced monthly by the William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital and charges are payable upon receipt.
Kevin D. Woolard
DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Associate Professor of Neuropathology
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
Dept. of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology