Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service
Welcome to the Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service at the UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, where we treat dairy cattle, beef cattle, sheep, goats and swine.
The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service is multi-faceted, providing both in-house and ambulatory services to dairies, ranches and breeding operations within the greater Davis area. A team of specialists and residents is available for appointments and consultations in a variety of areas.
The health of each individual animal is extremely important, as is the collective health of all animals in the herd. Healthy individuals lead to a healthy herd, and vice versa. The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service can work with you on all aspects of preventative medicine including vaccination and parasite control, mineral and nutrition analysis, records analysis and regulatory services. In the unfortunate event that you are dealing with disease in your herd, this service can help to re-establish disease monitoring parameters, treatment protocols and eventually a healthy population.
An essential component of any commercial livestock operation or hobby farm is a solid basis in reproduction. Males and females both contribute to a successful program, but both can also experience infertility for a variety of reasons. The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service can work with you to diagnose pregnancy in females, perform breeding soundness exams on males, test for venereal diseases, and diagnose infertility and abortions. With a reproductively healthy herd, more advanced reproductive procedures may be explored to improve genetics and production.
Clinical Activities and Procedures
General Herd Health
The health of a herd or flock is based on the health of its individuals, and when appropriately managed can function very efficiently and smooth. The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service can assist with the following:
- Vaccination and parasite control
- Basic husbandry services, including dehorning and small ruminant hoof trimming
- Brucellosis vaccination
- Tuberculosis testing
- Nutritional and trace mineral analysis
- Mastitis, milk quality and milking system consultation
- Health Certificates and other regulatory services
- Records Analysis and consultation
- General Disease Surveillance
Reproduction is an integral component of any livestock operation, no matter how large or small. The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service can help you achieve your herd goals with the following procedures:
- Pregnancy Diagnosis, including palpation and ultrasound
- Fetal sexing
- Estrus and ovulation synchronization
- Infertility and abortion investigation, diagnosis and treatment
- Termination of unwanted pregnancy
- Male Breeding Soundness Exams
- Semen evaluation
- Tritrichomonas testing
- Castration and heifer spaying
Advanced Reproductive Technology
The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service provides in-house and ambulatory reproductive technologies to improve reproductive efficiency and genetics in your herd or individual animal.
- Estrus synchronization programs (Cattle, Goats and Sheep)
- Artificial insemination (cattle and goats)
- Embryo Transfer (cattle)
- Laparoscopic Insemination (sheep)
- Semen and embryo storage
The Livestock Herd Health and Reproduction Service provides extension training to producers, veterinarians and students to improve animal health and well-being.
- Dystocia management and calving schools
- Artificial Insemination courses
- Animal welfare assessment including humane euthanasia
Bret McNabb, DVM, MPVM, DACT, DABVP (Food Animal)
Chief of Service
Richard Pereira, DVM, PhD
Joan Dean Rowe, DVM, MPVM, PhD, DACVPM
Rose Digianantonio, DVM
Celeste Morris, DVM
Zachary Turner, DVM