VMTH Security - Keeping Our Community Safe
If you have an emergency, feel unsafe, need an escort, etc.:
Security Guards: Use the walkie-talkie from Reception A, C Barn, Equine Isolation, NICU or LA ICU
SA Reception A: (530) 302-7560
UC Davis Campus Police: (530) 752-1230
UC Davis Safe Ride (not an emergency number): (530) 754-2677
We are aware of the growing safety concerns due to the increase in violent crimes reported in Davis over the last week. The safety and security of the VMTH community is our primary concern. We are taking steps to increase the security presence in our area of campus after hours. Specifically, the UC Davis Police Department is adding an additional 14 security guards across campus with increased patrols of the SVM region. In addition, the VMTH has hired 2 dedicated security guards to patrol the hospital area from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. We know that parking at the VMTH can be a challenge during the day and recommend that people who finish their workday after dark, move their car to a closer parking location before dark. This relocation is permitted during work time.
We wanted to reiterate the following safety tips:
- Always be alert to your surroundings.
- Try not to travel alone.
- Don’t prop open doors or building entry points.
- Always try to vary your routes to and from work or school.
- Be aware of locations and situations that will make you vulnerable to crime, especially in darkness. Indeed, these two crimes occurred in darkness in parks.
- Avoid people and situations that make you nervous — Trust Your Instincts!
- Stay in well-lighted areas as much as possible. Walk confidently and at a steady pace, making eye contact with people when walking.
- The Safe Rides program remains available for use.
- If you ever feel you or others are in danger, call 911.
Thank you for your efforts to help keep our community safe and secure. We will share additional updates or guidance as it is available.
— The VMTH Leadership Team