Mental Health Counseling Resources
How to Access Mental Health Counseling Services
Employee Assistance Programs (EAP): Your employer may offer free EAP counseling session. Check with your employer’s Human Resources Department. Questions you might need to ask:
1. Does my employer offer EAP counseling sessions?
2. What number do I call to start using EAP counseling sessions?
3. How many EAP counseling sessions am I allowed?
4. Is there a co-pay? (Most EAP counseling sessions are free)
Insurance Plans: Your health coverage plan may include mental health counseling. Please note that sometimes mental health counseling is covered through a different insurance carrier than your regular health care insurance carrier. Call the number on the back of your card. Questions you might need to ask:
1. Does my plan include mental health (aka behavioral health) counseling?
2. Who is the insurance carrier for my mental health counseling services?
3. Is there a separate deductible I must meet to receive mental health counseling?
4. What is my co-pay for mental health counseling?
5. How many counseling sessions am I allowed?
6. How do I access the mental health/behavioral health therapists’ directory?
Medi-Cal/Medi-Care: Typically these two programs cover counseling and have certain restrictions on how to access services. Please call the number listed on your card.
Other Ways to Find a Counselor/Therapist:
Word of mouth: Ask for a referral from trusted people in your life.
Possible Questions to Ask a Mental Health Therapist:
1. Are you licensed in the State of CA to provide mental health counseling?
2. Do you have experience with my situation?
3. What can I expect on my first visit?
4. Can I fill out initial paperwork before my visit? If so, how do I access that paperwork?
5. Are you on my insurance plan? If so, what do you need from me? If not, please explain payment options, including superbill, sliding scale, special case exceptions, and/or referrals to low cost counseling.
If you have any questions, or need help accessing services, please contact our counselor Florence Soares-Dabalos at 530-752-7341 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.