Proper preparation is key to a safe and worry-free trip abroad. Global Programs is committed to providing the resources you need to prepare for your international experience whether it’s for business or pleasure. Continue reading below for information on important steps to take including how to register your trip and better ensure cybersecurity when traveling.
International Travel Update
UC Davis has decided to end the requirement for all travel to CDC COVID level 3-4 countries to be approved before travel. As of March 21, 2022 the university will return to its pre-COVID International Travel Policy. The Travel Security Manager will continue to monitor the COVID-19 rates closely and adjust the policy if necessary.
For more information, please see Global Affairs website.
Trip Registration and Insurance
For COVID-19 travel updates and information, please click here.
Per new UC Davis policy, international travel on university business must be registered. We strongly encourage you to register any domestic UC Business travel as well. Trip registration takes less than a minute and affords UC Davis travelers a number of benefits including:
- Customized, location-specific alerts to mitigate disruption to travel plans
- Access to valuable travel insurance and emergency contact information
- Timely assistance, including emergency evacuation, in the event of a crisis
This constant support allows travelers to circumvent potential difficulties with minimal trip disruption!
Note: Travel booked via AggieTravel/Connexxus is automatically registered and a separate registration is not required. Travel booked outside of AggieTravel/Connexxus must be registered. The registration portal referenced above will automatically provide insurance documentation applicable only for University business travel.
UC Davis personnel may register personal travel to receive customized, location-specific travel alerts.
Please note, the registration portal referenced above will not provide insurance for personal travel. If you would like to purchase similar travel and security insurance services for your personal travel, you have the option to do so here.
The UC Personal Travel Program is available to UC employee’s family members regardless if the UC employee is accompanying or not.
Additional pre-trip planning resources:
- Global Affairs travel tips and resources
- Worldcue Planner
- Learn more about a country you are traveling to.
- This is an iJET/Worldcue product. It is the same database that generates the real time intel that you receive via a Welcome email or alerts.
- You need a Kerberos to access it but once in, can research all destination intelligence (security, health, culture, etc.).
- U.S. Department of State
- Find information on visas, travel warning, advisories, and consular information sheets for your intended destinations
We encourage all travelers to do their research and schedule a travel specific appointment with their primary care provider to discuss health considerations for their destination(s). On campus resources include the Travel Medicine Program (Occupational Health Services) and the Student Health Services Travel Clinic. See more information on these campus offerings below:
Faculty & Staff - Travel Medicine Program – Occupational Health Services
- Advertise no cost pre-trip and post trip exams, vaccines/immunizations, and health planning for international travel
- Missed appointments incur a t $50 missed appointment fee
- Make a travel clinic appointment by going to the Student Health and Counseling Services website: https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/services/travel
- Available to all registered students
- $15 consultation fee (excludes the cost of immunizations/medications)
Travel Alert re: Yellow Fever Vaccine
Please be advised that the United States is currently experiencing a temporary total depletion of yellow fever vaccine (YF-Vax). UC Davis’ Travel Medicine Program, for example, is completely out of the vaccine. Per the CDC, the timing of the YF-Vax return to supply is being reassessed. Please contact our office if you require vaccination for university travel so we can connect you with the Campus Travel Security Manager.
Some countries require proof of vaccination if travelers are arriving from countries “with risk of yellow fever virus transmission.” The listing of such countries can be found here.
Additionally, the WHO maintains a comprehensive, country-specific listing of YF-Vax requirements here.
Additional travel health information:
- Medical Clearance and Vaccinations
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Traveler’s Health
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Provides information on disease outbreaks and emergencies
Cyber security is an important aspect of travelling abroad; follow the steps below to insure security of your information:
Before you travel:
- Delete all stored personal and/or sensitive information (bank statements, W2s, IRS documents, etc) from your mobile device before traveling.
- Be sure your security software is up to date.
- If you don’t have it already, install and enable security software to protect against malicious applications, viruses, spyware, and malware-based attacks.
- Install and enable encryption to protect information stored or sent by mobile devices.
- Use a password or other user authentication (like biometrics if the device is capable of such feature).
- Install and activate wiping and/or remote disabling to erase the data on your mobile device if it is lost or stolen.
- Disable and do not install or use file-sharing applications.
- Install and enable a firewall to block unauthorized access.
- Maintain physical control of your mobile device. Know where it is at all times to limit the risk of unauthorized use.
- Avoid or use caution when using unknown/public WiFi (at airports, cafes, restaurants, hotels, etc). If you do need to connect to a public WiFi do not send or receive sensitive information.
- Research mobile applications (apps) before downloading.
- If your device is stolen, report it immediately to the local US Embassy or Consulate.
When you return:
- Check devices for malware and change all your passwords including your voicemail.