Upcoming Diversity Conferences
Creating Brave Spaces
How do we engage in difficult dialogue in order to advance a diverse and inclusive veterinary profession?
As the veterinary profession continues to advance its efforts to promote diversity and inclusivity, more attention is being paid to environmental factors such as campus climate and engagement. The current political climate in the United States highlights the need for more engagement in what can often be difficult and uncomfortable yet incredibly important dialogues around issues of discrimination, inequity, and privilege. It is often in times of discomfort when the most significant learning occurs. The goal of this year’s summit is to learn how to move beyond “safe spaces” and create “brave spaces” which will allow us to engage in difficult dialogues authentically and respectfully with others that hold different perspectives.
DOWNLOAD BROCHURE (pdf)
By the end of the summit, attendees will be able to:
- Define and describe a brave space.
- Differentiate between safe and brave spaces.
- Assess their institution’s efforts in creating brave spaces.
- Identify concrete and meaningful suggestions on creating and/or sustaining a brave space at their home institution.
- Devise a strategy for their personal and professional efforts to create and maintain brave spaces.
How to Register:
Registration is now open at https://2018westernregionaliversonbellsummit.eventbrite.com/
When: February 23-25, 2018
Where: Doubletree by Hilton
222 N. Vineyard Avenue
Ontario, CA 91764